Self made KOTH map has broken TF2

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by The Rev, Jul 15, 2012.

1. The Rev

The Rev L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've messed around with Hammer for a while now and recently stated a new TF2 map and decided to make it a KOTH game mode. Before I'd decided on the game mode I had a basic layout for the centre of the map and had compiled it without error numerous times. In terms of entities, it only contained

info_player_teamspawn
    info_observer_point
    light_environment
    a few light_spots
    a few info_overlays
    and a few prop_statics

I then tried to add a KOTH point following a few different walkthroughs. I'd seen conflicting advice on whether to add a tf_gamerules entity but I decided to add one to make the various outputs work. After I'd set up the KOTH point I compiled the map in VBCT and as usual told it to run the map after it had done compiling. It complied fine, but when it came to running the map TF2 just hung on the main screen. After forcing TF2 to quit I tried opening it normally and testing the map by creating a server, but this also made the game hang.

I then tried removing tf_gamerules and recompiling, but it still crashed. Even taking out all the KOTH point stuff didn't work. What's really odd is that now I can't create a server using any map, even the official ones, but luckily I can still join servers.

I put my compile log through interlopers.net but it didn't turn up anything unexpected. I've posted it below for reference.

Update 1: Changing the compile setting has no effect

Update 2: Refreshing the SDK content and resetting the game configuration in the Source SDK has no effect.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. phi

aa phi Within The Vacuum Of Infinity...

Positive Ratings:
    Edit: Interlopers says this:
    I don't know much about -fast and if it is used for anything specifically, but that *may* be the cause.

Second edit: Interlopers says something about "zero area child patch" as well.
    I have no idea what I'm doing but I hope that helps in the least sense.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  4. phi

aa phi Within The Vacuum Of Infinity...

Positive Ratings:
    Edited for clarification, then.

5. Another Bad Pun

Server Staff Another Bad Pun over my dead body

Positive Ratings:
    VVIS when ran on fast can cause a few errors, but I don't think it would cause an error like this. Fast VVIS just means less optimization for faster compilation. (Rhyme intended?)

About the problem... It's probably something wrong with your koth logic entities. I recommend installing Boojum's Ultimate Mapping Resource pack. It has a lot of things that would be challenging/time consuming to do already done, and most TF2 mappers use it.

In it, there are door prefabs, resupply lockers, an improved texture browser, new icons for some entities, and a nice gametype library. Use the gametype library and copy the koth setup into your map. :)

If all else fails, double check your compile settings and make sure your map has no leaks or corrupted entities. You can find leaks by going to the top toolbar, (near the file button) and clicking Map / Load pointfile. If there's a leak, you will need to press okay and look the red line pointing out into "the void." close the gap, and check for leaks again if needed. I think CTRL + P can be used to find corrupted entities.

Also, I recommend you take a look at this if you have any questions on what VVIS is and how optimization works in Source.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your map. ;)

6. The Rev

The Rev L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Before posting here I was looking for fixes and stumbled across that, so I'll give it a look.

I'm currently compiling in non-fast mode, but as people have said I doubt it will make any difference, I've done it in fast mode in the past and it's worked fine.

What's really confusing me is that any map I try and run from Hammer or from creating my own server, either inside TF2 or from the Source Server, crashes the game. I could be just a coincidence that this has happened at the exact same time I stated messing around with tf_gamerules.

Update: Compiling in Full mode makes no difference, TF2 still crashes when it tries to run it and any others.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012