sdk beta release

H

Haas

from:http://www.interlopers.net/index.php?sid=7b7652a827009c95bfadbf08f54d24f3
SDK Beta update

According to this Steam forum post, a new SDK beta is out for us to try out:

"The Source SDK has been updated and is now available as a beta.

To run this beta version you will need to add -beta srcsdk0122 to your command line when you start Steam. This can be done by opening up the Windows shortcut you use to launch Steam and adding -beta srcsdk0122 right after Steam.exe.

Included in this release:

* Source code for creating mods based on Half-Life 2 : Episode Two
* Engine version selection list in SDK UI
* New lighting preview mode in Hammer
* Fixes for crashes in Hammer

"

Could this be the lighting preview we have all been waiting so long for? Let's hope so.

Check the official release notes over at the developer wiki.
i am going to test it out because i have a lot of crashes.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Preview for light looks good.

Good thing that valve first makes betas now instead of: here ya go, we dont know if it will work on your computer but it works on ours. Oh we'll fix your bugs in a few days mwahahaha

H

Haas

lighting preview is very dark but it can give you an idea of how it works out.

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
I want them to fix the friggin shadowing for props! Why in an enclosed room does the props grab light from the skybox instead of the nearby room lighting?!?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
GTKradient did that *mubbles*

TheFragMan

L1: Registered
Jan 9, 2008
Anyone else get flickering with this beta? No matter what mode I'm in, the whole screen flickers every couple seconds.

On a side note, the lighting preview is kind of neat, but yeah, it's really dark. Good for a quick estimate, but I'll still rely on a compile to test everything.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
It is kind of nice that they're fixing some Hammer stuff. I wonder if they'll do some of the "no-brainer" fixes to the SDK soon, like how we still have to put "-nop4" into our commandlines for custom models and textures. That little problem keeps some good custom utilities from working.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I want them to fix the friggin shadowing for props! Why in an enclosed room does the props grab light from the skybox instead of the nearby room lighting?!?

That doesn't need to be real time lighting, it could be worked out on a prop by prop basis as it compiles It would take a couple of days for valve to add it into the engine and it would increase realism 100%

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
It is kind of nice that they're fixing some Hammer stuff. I wonder if they'll do some of the "no-brainer" fixes to the SDK soon, like how we still have to put "-nop4" into our commandlines for custom models and textures. That little problem keeps some good custom utilities from working.

You might want to pay more attention to the release notes: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_SDK_Release_Notes

SDK Release Notes said:
Content Creation Utilities

* There is no longer a need to add -nop4 to the command lines of studiomdl and vtex.

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
Ok. So where is the light preview located in the beta? Here is my shortcut, I assume I did it correctly.

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -beta srcsdk0122 -applaunch 211 -heapsize 3072000

EDIT: Hmm... Well closed out Steam and started steam via the new shortcut and it forced an update. I had just started my comp. before adjusting the shortcut and it didn't do an update.... Anyway.

Last edited: