CTF SD_CrashDown

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
SD_CrashDown, a launch facility set in a snowy alpine place in the night.
Your mission: to send poopy jar to the stars! Or rather, the moon, specifically. That's a star right?

As such it is set at nighttime.

Please leave feedback.

==========================
Always current screenshots
==========================
CRASHDOWN_001.png

CRASHDOWN_002.png

CRASHDOWN_003.png

CRASHDOWN_004.png

CRASHDOWN_005.png

CRASHDOWN_006.png

CRASHDOWN_007.png

CRASHDOWN_008.png

CRASHDOWN_009.png

CRASHDOWN_010.png

=================

Back with everyone's favorite map, now featuring everyone's favorite gamemode: Special Delivery. BUT NEW NAME!

Bloviation has evolved: now it is SD_CrashDown. How exciting!

The map has been completely redesigned for Special Delivery gamemode. I also took it a few steps further. So this alpha 1 is what I would normally make an alpha 3 or 4 or so.

Special Map thing:

There is a one way gate in the center of the building facing the australium. This lets you get back from rocket to australium super fast. It does not let you go the other way and it does not let the australium through, so don't even try.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It still looks massive and full of enormous sightlines and empty expanses, but also looks better and more interesting. A one way door is an interesting idea, wonder how no one thought of that yet.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
It's so... colorful! I've never seen this many different dev textures in the same map.

Oh, and sightlines. That too.

Mr. Happy

Jul 16, 2008
I can't release an alpha that I see no flaws in, if I see no flaws then the layout is finished. Mirror symmetry is constraining and SD is even more constraining since there are two focal points on the plane of symmetry, so I am finding it harder to design for than other gamemodes. More sightline control and some slight resizing will come in soon versions. I was trying to make the rocket area good for heavies and snipers by making it so large. On the ground sightlines are a bit better than air shots would imply.

I hope it is interesting enough to maintain peoples interest while playing.

There are only five dev textures! Perhaps I should use more, it would make preliminary texturing via replace easier. I also don't like alphas that use only one or two dev textures, it's too hard for me to tell where I am and what the space around me is shaped like.

My 72hr map had two one way doors for the same purpose.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
You should try func_door sometime, if you can find it.

A rainbow of devtextures.

'S called Rainbowride now. Dunno if they still play it on the Café.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Loving those spotlights. Not so much the split-colored stuff in the middle. Can't it just be gray?

Mr. Happy

Jul 16, 2008
Your right. It will be. The stuff at the rocket will be modeled anyway. There is a catwalk there now that retracts when rocket launches.

Adding devshots to first post so those will always be current to the release.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Okay, after playing this, I noticed it's not very accommodating towards medics. Whenever my heal target died on me, I had to backtrack through a bunch of narrow corridors to find another one, and usually ran into an enemy player and got killed first because there's no room to take evasive action. I realize that players being spread out all over the map is normal for this mode, and I've admittedly not played Doomsday as a medic yet, but I don't think it was this cramped, twisty, and generally maze-like.