screenshots? help!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by BURNBURNBURN, Feb 21, 2011.

1. BURNBURNBURN

BURNBURNBURN L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    ok, so i finished a simple map a little while ago, and wanted to put up some screenshots of it so people can see what they are downloading. i starteed tf2, loaded my map, hit f5 to take my screenshot, and closed tf2. i then moved the screenshot file (a TGA file) to my desktop. next i opened tf2maps.net in my browser and went to "my files". i found my map (tf_heavyboxing) and then located the screenshot "browse images" button. I selected my screenshot file from my desktop and pressed " add image". after a short time while i presumed my computer was uploading the file, i got a message saying that i cannot upload this type of file. i have tried putting the screenshot in a folder, a compressed folder, and shouting at my computer, but nothing seems to work. any ideas what my problem is? i looked at several tutorials, but they all mention photoshop, which a cannot afford on my current allowance. please help me out here,
    -BURNBURNBURN

2. Godslayer57

Godslayer57 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Retake the screenshots a jpeg?

3. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    the default f5 screenshot saves files as a .tga, which not many image hosts support. What I do is, in console, type "bind f6 jpeg"

this makes it so that when I press f6, it takes ascreenshot in .jpeg, and not .tga. jpeg is a horrible image format, yes, but it's universally supported.

4. Xi.Cynx

aa Xi.Cynx Former Alias: †Blade†

Positive Ratings:
    If I were you I would just totally rebind my current f5 key to this:

bind "F5" "jpeg_quality 100;jpeg"

You put this in the console when you start up tf2

5. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just save as jpg from Gimp,paint,photshop,whatever (I usually crop/shrink too, 1920x1200 is pretty big for most forums)

6. Corvatile

aa Corvatile eyes open at all times

Positive Ratings:
    I use Fraps' screenshot tool.

7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Why use a third-party program (which can also be replaced by MSPaint, btw) when you can just type a few things into console and never have to worry about it again? Also, I'm pretty sure that unless you run TF2 in -windowed -noborder, pressing prt scrn would make TF2 show up as a white rectangle.

8. ardysqrrl

ardysqrrl L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    no i must pirate a thousand dollar application so that i can convert between image file formats

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Huckle

Huckle L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or you could just make TF2 output the file format that you want with the jpeg command?

10. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I believe you fell into a sarchasm

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  11. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    Gimp is free

can tf2 crop/print to different size than full screen? (I don't want to post 1920x1200's on forums)

12. Sgt Frag

Positive Ratings:
    Steam Screenshots

* Added support for Steam Screenshots. Press F12 while in any game that runs the Steam Overlay to take screenshots, then publish them to your Steam Community profile, or anywhere else on the web. Each user is allotted 1 GB of Steam Cloud storage for screenshots.

No need to upload them now...

13. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Take .jpegs with F5 or F6, then resize in Paint.

14. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    This is probably stupid, but would running TF2 at a lower resolution create smaller screenshots?

Also, 999 posts, seba.

15. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    tf2maps will resize them automatically anyway. also why so many posts, the second one already solved the problem

16. BURNBURNBURN

BURNBURNBURN L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    ok, i got a huge amount of feedback, thanks......the jpeg command should be much easier than copying and pasting the map into garrysmod and using the picture tool.....which i have done.....

17. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Images are resized, but browsers still load the full version. So if someone cares about everyone's downloads, it's nice to resize anyway.

But I don't because I don't care. It's 2011, get broadband at least.

(This is the post where I pretend monthly caps don't exist.)