CP Scrapped

chrytin

L2: Junior Member
Jun 10, 2015
cp_scrapped is a 5cp map meant to bring to life an unreleased version of Badlands from before TF2's launch.
The map was seen in some screenshots uploaded to Behance by a Sr. Environment Artist for Valve who worked with the company from 2005-2011.
The 5 screenshots can be viewed here: http://imgur.com/a/14PNJ
The pictures were part of a large dump of screenshots and concept art, which included screenshots from Left 4 Dead 2, Day of Defeat and Half Life 2, Episode 2.
Original Post here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/894384/Valve-Software-Sr-Environment-Artist-2005-2011

cp_scrapped is currently in a1. It is also the first map I have really committed to making and publishing. As I am relatively inexperienced with Hammer, there are a few things in this current version that I am aware of as being issues:

* The spawn doors are not tied to points. They are team filtered, however any spawn room can be accessed at any time by a corresponding team member. This is because I had no idea how to properly tie them to control points. This will be fixed when I git gud and learn to make spawn doors work right. The spawnpoints themselves are all correct though, rest assured.

* Brushwork is very sloppy because this is an early version that will likely be rebuilt considerably in future revisions.

* Some relatively basic optimizing has been done. I didn't do any func_detail brushes, however non-visible surfaces have had nodraw applied.

* Rooftops, stairs and boundaries of map are properly clipped.

* Textures are present on an a1 because of two reasons. First, a month long road trip on which I could only work on the map, not actually upload or play it, and secondly, because nothing but dev textures is disorienting and awful looking. The first impression matters in if the first impression is rd_asteroid/cp_orange knockoff, the map may be hindered in being given a chance.

* Currently, a small Easter Egg (If even that) is present. It is a reference to the recent comics. In every large release I will hopefully be able to add something new. For now though, just know that yes, that little somethin' somethin' is a reference to the comics.

* Custom assets are packed (confirmed thru testing by a friend). Credits go to:

Void and Rexy, Computer Screen Bank
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3833

Rexy, Vending Machine
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3687

Rexy, Tech Doors
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2857

Rexy, Portable Toilet
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=4251

Acumen, Chair.
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2726

* I'm still new to making maps, so there are a lack of arrows to send people towards the point. I did my best to always make routes that connect points have an arrow within field of view, though there may be some areas lacking marking they should have. Please leave feedback about locations where there should be directional markers.

Please leave feedback once you've run around the map a bit. Hopefully I can make some improvements before this gets pushed to a gameday on the server.

Last edited:

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
Wasn't this the original badlands?

Last edited:

chrytin

Jun 10, 2015
Wasn't this the original badlands?

It uses the spire prop though even the pictured 2006 layouts are completely different. The ravine in the center is a staple and likewise the spire is the mid rather than seconds.
I did use Badland's skybox and light_env settings though, ironically.

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
I see

btw the valleyway in screenshot 2 has a serious sniper sight line, i recommend placing a prop or two to break it up

chrytin

Jun 10, 2015
I see

btw the valleyway in screenshot 2 has a serious sniper sight line, i recommend placing a prop or two to break it up

Thanks. I was thinking of putting 2Fort sniper walls down there but wanted to get opinions first.

chrytin

Jun 10, 2015
Did you know.

That this version of the badlands was ctf?

Oh and btw, i got all the beta props if you want them.

That would explain the sheds then.

I would be interested in what the beta props entails. Anything really interesting in it?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It uses the spire prop though even the pictured 2006 layouts are completely different.

It's literally badlands. Or rather, half way between the original TFC and the final TF2 version, but it's just badlands.

See the original:
d5CppIm.jpg

And the prerelease one:
DJHOu3u.jpg

Other side:
XZqLOKG.jpg

And the prerelease:
f9YAkL1.jpg

nb: post is not meant to discourage, just inform

chrytin

Jun 10, 2015
It's literally badlands. Or rather, half way between the original TFC and the final TF2 version, but it's just badlands.

Well that would explain why I had no idea. Never played any of the TFC maps that ended up in TF2 except well.

Does that make this count as a modified Valve map now?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
TF2's hand-painted style and Source's impressionistic lighting engine have a way of doing that.

Kinda wish it had come through a little more in the finished product.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
TF2's hand-painted style and Source's impressionistic lighting engine have a way of doing that.

Kinda wish it had come through a little more in the finished product.

I certainly agree with you, but it seems like the final edits to TF2's style made it a lot less serious-looking, and provide better contrast.

Before:

tf2lineup.jpg

After:

pLVivx3.jpg

Notice the deeper/more-defined shading, expressive coloring, and larger differences in body forms. The same things can be said about the art style of the maps. To remake a 'before' map in the 'after' style is jumping a hurdle, but I'm excited to see it done.

With this in mind, when you begin to focus on lighting/definite texture choices, go for softer lights and basic colors (purer red, blue, and yellow).

Edit: Found the concept art page of the TF2 Wiki. I think it illustrates my point to a greater extent. #mypunlife

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I think the difference in poses is staggering between those two images. In the top one, they might look like the TF2 mercs we know, but they definitely aren't the mercs we know. They're entirely different characters and it's almost entirely in the way they stand. They're all so rigid, so generic, so flavourless.

In the second image they each have their own unique way of standing, of holding their weapons, everything down to their facial expressions (which are actually pretty important, even if they only occupy a small number of pixels) marks them out as different from A) each other and B) other characters in similar games.

Habeebit

L1: Registered
Jul 19, 2015
Found some concept art of the original version

tf2_concept_badlands_blue.jpg

tf2_concept_badlands_red.jpg

Definitely interested in seeing how this project turns out

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
loving that base dimorphism

granted, the fact that they went with simple palette swaps is probably a big part of why it's comp's favorite map