scorch decals

Jive Turkey

L3: Member
Jan 22, 2008
Two questions.

Any files in "source materials.gcf" are common to TF2 and all other games right? Naturally I didn't want to use any materials in the map that aren't a part of the basic TF2 installation, but this seems to be the only place one can find any of those bombed/blasted/scorched decals.

Second, how does one apply a decal at runtime? I see info_projecteddecal has an Activate input, but there's no corresponding Deactivate, only a Kill, which would just remove the entity entirely right? See, I want to apply this decal upon a win condition, but then remove it after the round is over. I'm assuming I just need to make a thin func_brush and apply the decal texture to one of its faces yes? That seems to be the only way I can achieve the control I want.

Aug 19, 2008
hm
my first try would be to make two brushes, same size, same position, both func_brush
once you need the decal, you kill the first brush and activate the second with the decal on it

Jive Turkey

L3: Member
Jan 22, 2008
1. Thanks for the link. That clears things up.

2. This is what I thought, but how exactly do you do this? infodecal has an Activate input, but how do you deactivate it? I thought calling Kill would remove the entity entirely, which would prevent any future activations. Is that not correct?