Scaling Areas

Grillmeister

L1: Registered
Aug 14, 2019
Are there any tricks to scale up areas of a map while still keeping all brushes on grid?

I ended up making an area too small, but if I would upscale it by say 30% it would just become a nightmare with off grid brushes. Are there any tools to mass-snap brushes to a grid? Or do I have to remake the area from scratch.

Suna

What's a greybox?
aa
Nov 10, 2017
The best way would be to use the 'transform' tool, found here
Simply click 'scale' and set the desired values. Note it is multiplicative, so if you wanted it 30% bigger you should set all values to 1.3. If it's not snapping to grid when you mass-scale then consider doing it with less brushes at a time.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
The best way would be to use the 'transform' tool, found here
Simply click 'scale' and set the desired values. Note it is multiplicative, so if you wanted it 30% bigger you should set all values to 1.3. If it's not snapping to grid when you mass-scale then consider doing it with less brushes at a time.
Scaling an area by a value would result in "a nightmare with off grid brushes," described by the OP as being undesirable.

You'll want to become friends with the vertex edit tool. With it selected, you can drag a window around a group of brush vertexes like this:

upload_2019-8-18_20-16-28.png

Then, press enter to select them, and you can move them around like you would anything else. In this instance, we can resize a room without changing the thicknesses of the walls.

Note that vertex edit can also very easily produce invalid solids (solids with any faces that aren't flat, or solids that are concave), which Source doesn't like. You'll learn through experience how to avoid creating them.

Also note the automatic selection option, which looks like this:

upload_2019-8-18_20-19-45.png

This will skip the step of pressing enter and automatically select what you drag a box over as soon as you let go. I have this on, others don't. Personal preference.

Suna

What's a greybox?
aa
Nov 10, 2017
Scaling an area by a value would result in "a nightmare with off grid brushes," described by the OP as being undesirable.

You'll want to become friends with the vertex edit tool. With it selected, you can drag a window around a group of brush vertexes like this:

upload_2019-8-18_20-16-28.png

Then, press enter to select them, and you can move them around like you would anything else. In this instance, we can resize a room without changing the thicknesses of the walls.

Note that vertex edit can also very easily produce invalid solids (solids with any faces that aren't flat, or solids that are concave), which Source doesn't like. You'll learn through experience how to avoid creating them.

Also note the automatic selection option, which looks like this:

upload_2019-8-18_20-19-45.png

This will skip the step of pressing enter and automatically select what you drag a box over as soon as you let go. I have this on, others don't. Personal preference.
Forget what I said this is much better