PL Saxton Hills (ravidge_72) a2

Made by Ravidge

1. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

This is my entry in the 72 hour competition.
    It's a bit of a mess and that is why I made this thread!
    List all the complaints you have thus far, I want to hear everything.

I will release a update with the most important edits under the name pl_saxton_hills_a1

CURRENT TO-DO/PENDING EDITS LIST:
    Fix wobbley cart

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    It is really good, it could be tad less open around the area just after the start, with the huge hill and sniper position. Also some alternative round to the last would be nice, looking how easy it is to spam arrows to the cramped tunnel and hold attackers off. (Or alternatively, move the last foward spawn closer to keep more pressue on that tunnel)

3. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Some sightlines are pretty big, making Huntsman snipers annoying as fuck. (More so). Other then that, I enjoy it.

4. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    walking under/through all the trees in thirdperson mode is so weird but still fun so I dunno

there were some stairs near the... 2nd last point? that you can actually not go up because it's missing a few steps and is floating over the ground

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    medieval + payload > medieval + anythingelseprobably imo

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Make it brighter. MUCH brighter.

Also medieval mode blows, you're shooting yourself in both feet then jumping in an industrial meat grinder by using it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Turbo Lover

aa Turbo Lover Fight me under Glasgow Central Station

Positive Ratings:
    Make it brighter and reduce those sightlines.

YM, some people like Medieval Mode, some people don't. Simple as that.

8. Zhan

Zhan L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I fully agree with this. I simply couldn't enjoy myself when playing this map yesterday because of the medieval mode

However, if you're the kind of person that actually likes medieval gameplay, this is probably a pretty good map.

9. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I enjoyed it, yes, a tad dark, lighting was dull...

Cart was really cute.

I felt like though that the cart never stopped, as in, red couldn't really defend or set up some sort of defense, it was more/less just a moving battle ground, and not really payload. I guess its because it was medieval.

10. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    Not everyone is gonna enjoy the medieval mode, I get that, and as long as I keep it, it's not going to change.
    But there's been requests of medieval payload from time to time, and I had 72 hours to spend, so there ya go, It's more of a experiment than anything else.

I compiled a new version that fixes the glaring issues, but the geometry and lighting remains the same, for now.

pl_saxton_hills_a1 changelog:
    *recuded cart speed by 33%
    *reduced time awarded for cp3
    *reduced initial time.
    *reduced red spawnwavetime
    *added dynamic signs outside spawns
    *cart lance deals damage while moving at 3x capture speed (or faster)
    *lit a tower on fire
    *increased alpha on trees
    *fixed all spawn issues
    *added minor cover
    *fixed some displacements being too low, objects placed above appeared floating
    *added lights to braziers
    *stopped sneaking into spawns enemy before the door could close when a point was capped.
    *clipped off a unintended entrance for blue into red's last spawn
    *fixed an issue where players got pushed into the wall by cart

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    i think the lighting was great, i like the purple ambiance

medieval pl is coolio

12. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    a2:
    *fixed a crucial bug where blue got locked in spawn
    *initial starting time increased
    *tweaked red spawnwave times
    *stopped the lance from doing damage during setup

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  13. Ezekel

Ezekel L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    ok feedback (mostly repeating my feedback in the voting thread):
    - top notch asthetics
    - red spawn has one spawn point that traps you in the ground
    - i'm neither strongly for or against medieval mode in general, but i feel this map would benefit from regular mode. the problem with medieval mode is 2-fold in my mind: latency (you can play a decent game of tf2 with over 100 ping usually, but when the options are melee or sniping, it quickly becomes less fun), and sightlines. in my mind, so far there's only been one very good medieval mode map, and that was the grid artpass one. primarily because it kept people at close quarters and prevented you seeing people from long distances.
    - the final battlements are a nasty sniper position. and because red's spawn exit funnels them such that they are facing it, it becomes very difficult to counter effectively. (basically you'll be demo-knighted almost immediately, leaving only blu snipers to deal with it). either allow for a flank path up to the battlements from the outside, or tweak the trees and other props to reduce viable sightlines.
    - i definetly like the chalice on the cart and that it lights sniper arrows. and the cart itself is impressive. however, the final cap point should have something to match it thematically to explain the reason for the jousting dummy (alternatively you could employ the frontier mechanic so that the lance hurts/kills people who get in it's way when some criteria has been met... with some obvious visual/audio cue to make it clear, e.g. crit-effect on the lance's tip)
    - does the chalice ignite players that stand on it? would this be broken if combo'd with soldier banner weapons?
    - does the chalice ignite red sniper arrows too? it feels it should if it doesn't, however it might be counterproductive if it makes cart defending too strong as a result.
    - don't really remember any areas where it was too dark, but a slight raising of the ambient brightness might be useful if people are mentioning it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  14. killerps

killerps L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    something like a bump ;D
    are you still working on this map? is there any new release? im asking because i think, 'she' will be great on my medieval server

15. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not really working on it no. Once the dust from the competition settled down I started to look at it more seriously and there is just way too many gameplay issues with medieval pl that I can't resolve.

16. killerps

Positive Ratings:
    too bad. i must test this release again, harder, maybe it is able to play on server ;)

17. killerps

Positive Ratings:
    dude repair trails and it will be playable i think ;D

18. killerps

Positive Ratings:
    send this map to 'Orphaned Maps Repository' :D maybe someone will fix it

19. theharribokid

aa theharribokid

Positive Ratings: