Sawmill waterfall is missing collisions

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by x6herbius, Jan 1, 2010.

1. x6herbius

aa x6herbius

Positive Ratings:
    I'm trying to use the waterfall from Sawmill in a map of mine where the player is actually able to run along the top of it (and falling off leads to death). However, the problem with this is that Valve has failed to include a collision mesh in the model which means that I have to clip it myself with brushes, and trust me it's not going well. :p I was wondering if there was a waterfall with collisions out there already or whether it was possible to model one, since I can't model.

Many thanks.

2. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    Waterfalls don't have collisions, so i don't think that there is one. Clipping is not that hard to do also ;)

3. x6herbius

aa x6herbius

Positive Ratings:
    I meant for the whole rock wall. I've just spent an hour clipping the whole thing with nodraw displacements and when I compile BSP crashes on finding displacement neighbours... D:

4. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd recommend making your own displacement rather than taking the model one from Sawmill just to avoid the map getting a "sawmill copy" feel. If you want to clip the whole damn thing, I'd use playerclip blocks rather than nodraw displacements :O

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    nodraw doesn't work with displacements. It gets rendered ingame (though i have not heard of that actually crashing it before).

You'd probably also be best using "block bullets" like Valve did for the Badlands CP 2 spire rock model using this brush making technique

6. x6herbius

aa x6herbius

Positive Ratings:
    Grenades, physics objects etc. can go through. You'd end up shooting people right through the cliff. I also don't think it would contribute to a "Sawmill copy" feel since it's a 3-stage CP map set in a tropical island. :p

As for the brushwork tutorial, it looks interesting and I'll have a read-through. I think I will end up making the entire waterfall out of normal displacements, though.

7. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    There's a difference between a waterfall and a cliff.

8. x6herbius

aa x6herbius

Positive Ratings:
    But you can't run across the top of a waterfall without having a cliff there.

9. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Use clip brushes or/and blockbullets brushes if you're that concerned about it.

10. x6herbius

aa x6herbius

Positive Ratings:
    Or maybe a func_detail invisible brush, since that blocks everything (I think)?

11. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't block explosions and it still renders.

12. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I think he meant nodraw, in which case, no it wouldn't render. But you'd also block the model from light, IE it will be black. That's also exactly the same as making it out of blockbullets, except that way will not block your lights.

I would recommend doing blockbullets using the tutorial i showed you on how to make odd shaped brushes using triangles, this is how valve do it. It seems silly to do it another way unless you make your own model with its own collisions.

That said, simply making the cliffs out of displacements (as you said) is a decent enough alternative. Certainly for the initial stages of your map development.

13. Impulse

Impulse L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    what about invisible, that doesn't block light, or does that still render

14. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:

15. Impulse

Impulse L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    oh sorry i though he said func detail a nodraw brush

16. Stormcaller3801

Stormcaller3801 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think you either have the wrong tutorial linked, or displacements no longer have to be four-sided, as I assumed.

17. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Those are no displacements, its just world brushes.

Obviously, thats how terrain was made in hl1