Sawmill theme

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by An Icy Mouse, May 26, 2009.

?

Using which of these assets wouldn't make you feel dirty?

1. Storm skybox

54.0%
  2. Rain effects

52.4%
  3. Moving evil saws of death

22.2%
  4. Waterfall

42.9%
  5. Rocks from waterfall (without the falling water part)

39.7%
  6. None would make me feel dirty, I'd use all of them shamelessly!

42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. An Icy Mouse

aa An Icy Mouse

Positive Ratings:
    So I'm gunna make a map in the full sawmill stormy alpineyness glory theme and I was wondering just where most people would draw the line at using it's content.

2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    first! =p

i would say it all depends in the context you use them.

Its expected all will be used a lot because its the first time in a while that valve has really release some new material to play with.

Although i have a feeling i will get sick of SAWS very fast..

3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Sky and rain are fine, saws if they make sense and aren't just LOLSAWZ. The waterfall... I'd probably make a new non-model VMT and use it on a displacement to make my own waterfall. and the rocks... not much point in using them without the waterfall, there are enough other rocks.

4. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    I'm using the skybox in my map, and the light_environment just cos I thought it fits ( I tried out like 5 different environments and this one just made me go "Wow..." with awe)

5. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    I just took the saw for now but if need be I will take more.

6. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, unfortunately this is gonna be the new 'payload'. Everyones gonna use it, but same happened with alpine.

Mee too. It just happens to be almost exactly what I wanted, I can comprise a little and released right when I needed it.

7. An Icy Mouse

aa An Icy Mouse

Positive Ratings:
    If you wander down to the steam forums theres lots of complaints that theres no alpine maps, but here theres complaints that there are too many.
    What I think the problem is there are too many unfinished/rubbish ones and not many good/finished ones.

8. NovaSilisko

aa NovaSilisko L42: Life, the Universe and Everything

Positive Ratings:
    I'd only use the rain and sky. Sky is a maybe since it has mountains in the background.

9. StoneFrog

StoneFrog L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd draw the line at the sawblades/waterfalls.

10. cornontheCoD

cornontheCoD L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    kinda off-topic, but I wish the pipeline visual style would be used. Unfortunately, it probably won't be.

I would draw the line at the sawblades. They seem too gimmicky if they were used in any other way than in sawmill.

11. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Working on it, I wanted a map tajing place around a refinery but couldn't quite decide on the looks. Reference pictures of actual refineries looked very complicated to render, and were not suited to TF2 gameplay at all in the first place.
    ...Then Valve offers me the answer on a silver plate :p

Agreed. I voted for everything, but the sawblades kinda cross the line.
    On the other hand, It never stopped people from copying the Well trains, but trains are more common than sawblades of doom.

12. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    I'd love to use the pipeline theme, but I know I''d have to perfect it seeing as well, Valve didn't totally perfect it like they did with sawmill.

13. uma plata

uma plata L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sawblades/waterfalls would be a bit much. I mean, it'd have to be a REAL creative use of those assets

No prob with the skybox and rain though

14. An Icy Mouse

aa An Icy Mouse

Positive Ratings:
    An interesting result! I would have expected far less people to be happy with using the waterfall effects and saws.