Saving groups of objects for future use?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by R. Mongler, Jun 29, 2010.

1. R. Mongler

R. Mongler L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've just starting making maps for TF2, and I've noticed there's quite a few things that have to be done over and over again, like creating spawn room doors. Is there a way to save all the entities involved in some kind of macro, so you can simply insert all of them where you need them and just change the values as needed?

2. CapellanCitizen

CapellanCitizen L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. kirreen

kirreen L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Well, you copy them :p

If you hold Ctrl while pressing everything you want to do something with, you'll select multiple objects... Then press Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste... Or you might be able to do something under file to save the selected stuff as a file.

/kirreen

Edit: We posted at the same time.... You problary had an better answer... Got to go now :p

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Well, you can create your own prefab as CapellanCitizen suggested, or you can take Snark's game type library and just edit the values of those. You can find it here: click me. This has game mode setups as well as the appropriate spawns for those game modes.

That said, presumably you back up these files or something so... there's nothing stoping you from simply copy and pasting them from one vmf to another, similarly to a prefab.

5. R. Mongler

R. Mongler L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The prefab system is exactly what I was looking for. I already know about shift+drag, I meant something usable throughout different files. That resource pack looks awesome though, I'll check that out first.