Sappable Objects

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'm assuming the teleporter is rendered in this version? Because i was going to mention the possibility of the issue of an invisible building with visible zapper on it. As the zapper obviously applies to the shape of the building, it might look odd.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
No, the class filter does not work like that. Class refers to classes in code, and means entity class. The filter was designed for filtering among things like npc_headcrab or prop_physics. All players are of the same player entity class.

Booj, I think you may be inccorect.

I used class filters to enable only spies in an old map of mine.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Actually nevermind. You're talking about that spy-only gimmick map right? and you probably used point_clientcommand to force people to be one class? That's an entirely different issue and is in no way related to what I said about filter_activator_class

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Yes, that was the map and no, IIRC it had a class filter linked to a trigger_hurt to kill anyone who chose anything but spy.

Worst way to do it, but it pretains to this situation.

I have to go, but when I return I'll whip up a demo with class only doors.

Unless I'm totally wrong. But I don't think I am.

shadowfax

L1: Registered
Jul 23, 2009
Yes, that was the map and no, IIRC it had a class filter linked to a trigger_hurt to kill anyone who chose anything but spy.

Worst way to do it, but it pretains to this situation.

I have to go, but when I return I'll whip up a demo with class only doors.

Unless I'm totally wrong. But I don't think I am.

If this is the case, then perhaps you can also use it to filter on weapons. Then you could create a func_breakable that only takes damage from the engineers wrench. So after the teleporter/dispenser/sg is sapped to open the door, it enables a func_breakable that will only take damage from the wrench. Then the engineer wrenches the door and after so must damage is done it closes the door and recreates the tele/disp/sg resetting the path. (And resetting its own health, you don't want the func_breakable to actually break, just take some damage).

Stormcaller3801

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 5, 2009
A simpler version of this could be a well-hidden Sentry that guards an alternate route, one set up with a ridiculously large amount of health. The Spy can get to it and sap it, which would allow people to pass, but only for a limited time. When it explodes, it gets replaced with a new, full one. Thus, you either need to exhaust its ammo (any volunteers?) or sap it and exploit the time until it goes boom. Set up surrounding areas as Nobuild to discourage people from the Sentry's team from setting up a gun and dispenser there. An Engie could run in, unsap it, refill its ammo, and repair a little health, but wouldn't want to stay.

Obviously wouldn't work too well for the hospital theme, but could work otherwise.

LordNor

L3: Member
Jun 24, 2009
I'm assuming the teleporter is rendered in this version? Because i was going to mention the possibility of the issue of an invisible building with visible zapper on it. As the zapper obviously applies to the shape of the building, it might look odd.

Lol i love the two separate conversations going on at the same time...

Anyways! Yes, it will be visible which will make it look like a pseudo-lock of some kind that is colored nicely in the defending teams colors.

GRRR! I just tried making a teleporter (obj_teleporter) and they dont have one all they have is sentrygun and dispenser!

Last edited:

Penguin

aa
May 21, 2009
Then I do request you prove how you accomplish this.

*Siiiigh*

As alway, Master Boojum is correct. It was a client point.

This is what I get for questioning the entity guru.

Bot190

L1: Registered
Sep 25, 2008
Doing this the way you originally wanted to is not possible, obj_dispensers can't be sapped, obj_sentryguns can but for them to be sappable they would be able to shoot anyone who walks buy, the only thing you could really do is have a sentry in the open that when destroyed respawns, as someone suggested.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
It's entirely possible to build a wall high enough that you can shoot a sentry (with a rocket or pistol, anyway) but it can't "see" you.

I haven't tested this with sappers, but perhaps this is a possible solution: "Blind" the sentry and have a player sap it through a miniscule gap, placing some decal over the wall displaying lights and saying "Sensitive equipment: Avoid electric shocks", etc.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
IIRC it doesn't, or has some other side-effects like blocking sappers or people... (Wouldn't it block the sapper as well.)

Could be wrong, been a while, but I remember I was trying to artificially shave off some space from a sentry sightline.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Would a block bullets block sappers too? Else you could put that in front of the sentry.