PL Sandblast a17

Made by soylent robot

1. soylent robot

soylent robot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is Sandblast. It's a 3 stage payload map, in tf2's traditional desert/industrial style. I thought this time I'd avoid going for a community theme (no packrat screw ups that way) or a SERIES OF CUBES layout, so it snakes through a twisty canyon and some industrial buildings.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    It's so yellow I thought it was Egypt themed :v

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    That first point looks REAAALLY long. It looks comparable to a stage of a MSPL in itself.Plus, that hazard texture is ugly.

Other than that, i really, really want to play this, it looks very cool.

I predict a blu forward spawn will be highly necessary though.

4. Fredrik

Fredrik L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    It seems to be kinda hard to get out of the spawn becuase of the hill on the left side that red team can use for a great height advantage if blue can't get up there from spawn, which is kinda hard to see.

5. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    yea, the left side hill looks waay to tall. besides that it is interesting. With the hazard strips, you just need to add strips up hte side with the ramp to denote rollback.

6. soylent robot

Positive Ratings:
    the blue spawn has three exits: the double gate at the bottom you can see on the picture, and there are two gates that lead to both the ledges on either side of the track.

thanks frozen i was wondering why the hazards were looking a bit weird.

thanks for the comments ^^

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Omena

Omena L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like the brightness :D I like bright maps :D

8. soylent robot

Positive Ratings:
    A2 up: Cubemaps, and fixing the hazard strip areas.
    dunno how i forgot the cubempas XD

9. soylent robot

Positive Ratings:
    Here's a few shots of the next version, a3. It's all from the first stage, I changed it to a multistage pl map following advice i got from testing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Too many signs!

In that second screenshot, i reckon you need two or less signs- the one on the faright, and one in from the left. People will see the door in the middle anyway. The cart goes through there: there'll be a crapton of defenders! They could hardly miss it with their eyes closed!

In that first screenshot, why in gods name would they need those signs? Where do you expect them to go?

Hmm this came out as cranky and strident but i dont hve the energy to retype it. Sorry.

11. soylent robot

Positive Ratings:
    im back from my holiday and ive been doing more work on sandblast. here's stage 2:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    still a few problems (such as bastard respawn visualizers not bastard working) but im working on stage 3 right now

12. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    You should stop immediately and add some lighting. it helps.

13. soylent robot

Positive Ratings:
    apart from a few little (but important) things like the timer, a3 is pretty much ready for release. HERE'S SOME PICTURES

[​IMG]
    blu's spawn in stage 2
    [​IMG]
    stage 2 cap 1
    [​IMG]
    the track going from cap 1 to cap 2
    [​IMG]
    stage 2 cap 2, under the gantries
    [​IMG]
    the first area of stage 3
    [​IMG]
    the final cap area
    [​IMG]
    bev of stage 2
    [​IMG]
    bev of stage 3
    [​IMG]
    and the entire map

14. soylent robot

Positive Ratings:
  15. soylent robot

Positive Ratings:
    oh man, its sandblast_a4

the majorest change is the final point:
    [​IMG]
    one of the main complaints about the previous version was that it took to long to get to the final point, and the area was also too much like badwater's blast pit. ive replaced it with this tiered area.

[​IMG]
    another big change is the first stage; ive lengthened the section between the start and the first point, and removed the route that allowed red to get to blu's spawn so quickly

[​IMG]
    stage 2 hasnt changed much except for a higher ceiling and a new spawn for red

[​IMG]
    and this is stage 3

16. soylent robot

Positive Ratings:
    sandblast was on the us games day tomorrow, but apprently theres something wrong with the demo recording so i cant get the recording of the test.
    so im bumping this thread for feedback. i'd like some, come on, somebody must have some kind of opinion on it.
    im just a little sick of every map in the gamesdays getting feedback in the threads except mine. how am i supposed to know how to improve my map if nobody will tell me?

17. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    Getting feedback is not really always down to people begin lazy, hating you or map.
    Here is old list i made sometime ago.

- Test more than once, just because somebody didn't leave feedback on your map doesn't mean it sucks or is perfect, not every issues comes up on first few playsessions.

- Join chat, i mean it, really do, you can ask feedback from people who were there if you need to, people like to give it trough chat sometimes, it is easier that way.

- Be spectator, sometimes it is good idea to sacriface some of your personal enjoyment and watch how map plays.

- Run around your map alone. While not the most effective testing method, it helps to find annoying clipping, sightlines and so on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    (what wilson said)

Also, since the implementation of the feedback system, people don't post in threads very often. Why you posted in STV thread when you want people to post in your thread is a little confusing, but none-the-less it looks like you get plent of feedback right here... No if your confused on something, or what something more in detail, then ASK the person. You can't just expect feedback to walk up to you and start a conversation, you need to go out and get it.

ALSO: Why you posted in the WiP thread is completely silly, and un-needed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  19. soylent robot

Positive Ratings:
    thanks for that link Forzen. is there some way to use that site so i can see where the players gave the feedback? if not, i think can figure it out with those coordinates in hammer

20. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    You should be able to download vmf with locations once you claim the map is yours.