Russet

KotH Russet A13a

Squablo

L1: Registered
Jul 29, 2017
Noob question, how'd you do these displacements? I would guess you messed around with the smooth tool.

There were 4 main things I did with those displacements:

1. Like you said, I messed around with the smooth tool a lot. They're cut into very many different squares so they'll actually sow together - in order to sew the displacements you need both sides being sewn to match up their displacements exactly (same side length and power)

2. Make sure your displacements only have the top face, otherwise you'll get a lot of weird lighting bugs. To do this, select your displacements, then hit the "Toggle Texture Application" button. Once there, hold ctrl and deselect all the top faces. Afterward, you'll only have the side faces left. Hit "Remove Faces" to get rid of those

3. Make sure the base geometry of your dispalcements have the same height - each displacement is based on a geometric block, and though you can't see the faces of that block it still casts shadows everywhere. If one block is angled differently or higher than the other, it will cause for weird lighting issues. To raise or lower the base of your displacement, you can simply select the displacement, lower the top of it to match, and then go into the "paint geometry", setting the brush size to encompass the entire displacement and the height raising to be the same as however much you had to lower the block the displacement came from.

4. Pray to the displacement gods that things actually work.

Sorry if this is a really confusing explanation, tell me if anything needs more/better explaining.