alecgorge

L1: Registered
Aug 18, 2009
Rural Warehouse

Definitions
I will mention cap 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Here are where they are located (kinda old pic):

Summary
This map is a small map intended for probably no more than 16 people (although 32 people are supported). This map was designed to play with my 'real-life' friends (about 4-8 fairly skilled TF2 players)

It has 5 control points. Blu starts with one point, as does Red. Both are attempting to capture each others final point.
The Story (Do I need one?)
Blu purchases a big warehouse next to Red's executive retreat houses in the farm land.

The Good (What I think is good)
HDR!

This map is different than most maps: the central point is not meant to create a stalemate in the way that most maps are. The map is balanced (to the best of my knowledge and ability) but not mirrored.

They are multiple exits from each spawn that come out in very different locations, which makes spawn-camping significantly harder.

Plenty of cover on Red's side, plenty of 'catwalks' on Blu's side.
The Upcoming Features (In the next week)
  • 3d skybox
  • make the Blu area more stylized (use tf2 props can make it have the signature look)

Want to play the map?
Join here!

PLEASE
This is my first map ever in any editor. Please critique it to the max so I can get better (with suggestions on how to make it better). Also if anyone has a good displacement tutorial I would love to see it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2009
For your first map this is really good ;)
But it think that CP's are too close to each other :(

potatocubed

Aug 4, 2009
I found this n00b displacement tutorial quite handy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nre432l_OTc"]YouTube - Source SDK tutorial - Displacements[/ame]

alecgorge

Aug 18, 2009
@Engineer
Thanks! I don't know if you actually downloaded the map or just looked at screenshots, but they seem close, but on a small server that is just what you want. I am re-thinking what I said and that it is probably for 6v6 or less.

@potatocubed
thanks. that is really useful!

Feb 17, 2009
Soryy i didnt download i was on itouch, but they really seem too close, with a few edits it will look ok ;)

alecgorge

Aug 18, 2009
@engineer
that is fine I was just curious. Sorry for making you download 6 2mb screenshots on your iTouch :D . I added thumbnails with links to the big one.

do you mean the bird's eye path is too short, or the walking distance is too short?

Last edited:

alecgorge

Aug 18, 2009
in my b7 version, all the 'bugs' are fixed and now i am working on stylization and making the map a bit bigger.

Lazy Eskimo

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2009
From the look of screenshots it looks like it would be better suited to one of those (forgot name) maps where you can cap any cp at any time and try to reach 100% first.

alecgorge

Aug 18, 2009
@lazy eskimo
Well, I tried that and that was terrible. My map is too linear.

I just updated to B7. It looks much, much nicer!

Please DL and critque!

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Looks pretty small to me. I know you are going for a smaller player base so it's probably fine.

Looks like maybe you could use more cover around the points.

Always hard to give any solid feedback without playing it though.

It looks nice.
----
I looked at the screenies again...

If points 4 & 5 are blu and reds points, then it looks like one team will have an advantage getting to mid first. One of those points is closer to the middle points. So that team will be able to get a point capped quicker and head to mid quicker which is gonna lead to imbalance.

So I'd suggest making sure that it is very symetrical. Yeah, boring maybe but balanced and that's the most important thing.

Last edited:

alecgorge

Aug 18, 2009
@Sgt Frag
Thanks for taking a good look. Point 1 is Red's first point and Point 5 is Blu's first point. B7 (the version up here) was just me finalizing the Red scenery. In B8 (which I am almost done with), there is a third door out of Red spawn which allows Blu and Red to get to the first point at the same time.

You made me realize the middle point is still a little unbalanced in favor of Red. In fact the entire map is Red favored. I plan on doing a ton with Blu base.

Also I will add some more cover on the points.

Yes, it is meant to be small. It is really fun on 2v2 and 3v3 (that is all I have tested).

I plan on putting up a 24/7 server running this map for people to test out, so hopefully more people will respond :).