Runtime Error

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Xi.Cynx, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Xi.Cynx

aa Xi.Cynx Former Alias: †Blade†

Positive Ratings:
    EDIT: Sorry if this is not the right section for this but I didn't see a category that just dealt with random help questions and this does deal with mapping so I figured I'd throw it in here.

Alright, so I was trying to carve a piece out in Hammer Editor and it was taking quite a long time. Cores were workin pretty hard for about.... 5 minutes or so. then out of no where This error pops up and said the following:

---

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!
    Program: c:\program files(x86)\steam\stea...

R6025
    - pure virtual function call

---

Now what exactly would this mean? I've tried to google it and have had no luck with anything linking it towards Hammer. A lot of sites are linking it towards other programs and stuff. So I'm assuming it's something to do with Windows NOT Hammer. Some insight would be nice though. :-D

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    *Bump* :(

3. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    While I am not familiar w/ that specific error, I can tell you how to avoid it. Do not use the carve tool ;) Seriously though, carving any object more complex than a basic cube will screw up Hammer something fierce. Exactly what shape are you trying to make?

4. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#1: The outside view of the building with the door I want to put in it.
    #2: The inside view of the building with the door going through the piece I tried to carve.
    #3: the top view with the pieces I tried to carve to get the door to fit. the door is unselected in it.
    #4,5,6: should be simple enough to see. The grid views from the top, front and side.

5. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that might be your problem right there. Carve, like ID said, is something that should be avoided at all times. delete what you carved, and the arch, and see if that fixes anything.

6. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    well the runtime error happen when I am trying to carve the piece. Lol. Not while trying to compile or anything.

7. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    that told him how to make an arch, nothing in that thread told him to avoid carving. but to make a doorway you need to basically make a larger arched wall around that area. Ill try to make an example after work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Apom

Apom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    What the error exactly means is impossible to explain if you don't have prior knowledge in object-oriented programming. Put it simply, the program attempted to execute an invalid instruction. It's not exactly a "system" error, but you can consider it as such.

As the others say, don't carve. And I will add: don't make a 200-sided arch. 32 is already huge for a half-turn.

10. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    Not quite my friend :)

11. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    He got ya on that one!. :p

I know I'm not supposed to use the carve tool. But I didn't think that there was any easier way to get a smooth arch doorway in the wall. but then again, I am still n00b at this(If I may say so). :confused:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  12. Earl

Earl L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  13. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    the evil carve strikes again.

Once again, when you carve anything more complex that a cube, hammer acts up. There is also NO control over what gets cut how, on complex shapes, he even starts cutting up brushes that are nowhere near what you wanted carved.

You'll have to manually vertex manipulate an arch around it.
    For an arc like that, I personally, would use a displacement. They aren't just for rock walls, and outdoor floors ;) They are also a lot easier on your fps.

If you do keep them as brushes, don't forget to func_detail them, will save you tons of time compiling vis

14. Xi.Cynx

Positive Ratings:
    @Laz - How exactly can I make an arch doorway using displacements? I'm curious as I have never done it before. would I go as if I was making an oval tunnel and just crop off the bottom or is there another more suitable way? Also, what do you mean making them into func_detail I didn't know you could make a brush into one of those or can you only make displacements into func_detail?

15. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    You first make the arch with brushes, line everything up, then select all surfaces that should be visible, convert them to displacements. No quite as Smooth as you'd like though. Select the inner and outer faces(not the rim) and subdivide those, then select all the faces, and stitch them together. This should provide you with a nice smooth arch.

To make a brush a func_detail, select the brush, ctrl-T (Tie to entity) and select the func_detail entity. (Its the default one on mine). This makes the compiler to skip that brush when calculating portals. GREATLY reducing compile times. Ive seen 6 hour compiles come down to 7 minutes.

PS: Here's a comparative screenshot of my map with func_detail visible, and func_detail hidden. Kind of gives you an idea how extensively to func_detail everything
    http://users.telenet.be/La-z-Boy/func_detail.JPG

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008