Roving Spotlight?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by FlavorRage, Mar 16, 2010.

1. FlavorRage

FlavorRage L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi! I'm working on a nighttime urban KOTH map and I have a skybox with lots of skyscrapers. I would like to have some roving spotlights in the background moving around the towers. How would I got about doing this? A particle effect? How would I make it move? Thanks for any and all help. :)

2. Cynick

Cynick L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Assuming you mean for the light to rotate in a circle, theatre/L4D style:

You can probably make a point_spotlight and parent it to a momentary_rot_button (func_rotating is broken in tf2).

3. FlavorRage

FlavorRage L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Seems simple enough. Any idea how I might get it to go back and forth from two points, pausing at each end? I'll do rotating if I can't manage the other.

4. Cynick

Positive Ratings:
    Do you mean the entire light moving? Or just the beam changing it's direction?

For the first one you could use a func_movelinear, and set up it's outputs like this: (assuming you want it to pause for 2 seconds):

OnFullyClosed | !self | Open | <nothing> | (Delay)2
    OnFullyOpen | !self | Close | <nothing> | (Delay)2

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  5. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    The func_rotating is fixed in the FGD pack, isn't it?

6. Tehrasha

Tehrasha L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    func_rotating will rotate the brush only.
    When you attempt to parent something to it it stops rotating.

Thus, the momentary_rot_button hack. (which works very)

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Come on man, I keep saying it every month it seems. :( I can't actually change anything about how entities work. That's all in the code, the FGD merely tells Hammer what to display.

8. Tehrasha

Positive Ratings:
    Still, its major bonus points that your resource pak makes things so much easier to do, that it can be mistaken for increased functionality. :)

9. Cynick

Positive Ratings:
    Ironically, Valve has a func_rotating in the skybox of 2fort intended to make the clouds rotate (but of course they don't because func_rotating doesn't work right). However, when the map is booted in Garry's mod, the clouds suddenly start rotating because func_rotating works in Gmod :O

10. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    I got a little laugh out of that too. (Before replacing it with a physics motor.)

I also had some promising results at replacing the rotating clouds with a special particle system which would quickly emit and spin-randomize the clouds before settling into a steady state.

11. Tehrasha

Positive Ratings:
    Yup. Radar dish on top of Point B in cp_gravelpit is supposed to rotate too.

12. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Could this be a sign that valve plans on fixing func_rotating? Or maybe its just a reminder that most of the mappers prefer goldsrc (like the func_illusionaries used in l4d, which the entity description says should be a func_brush).