Rounding Displacements

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Nineaxis, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Getting frustrated trying to do this... what's the best way to round displacements? I need to make a round corner, and work from that to make it look rock/cliff like. Tried to manipulate two squares with adjacent corners... didn't work very well.

So.. help?

EDIT: That was sort of unclear. Need an "inside" corner, like on the inside of a rectangle, not the outside...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. mavadosh

mavadosh L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    tried starting with an arch and displacing from there?

3. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I believe you want the "subdivide" function.

4. Ace

Ace L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
  5. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think mitre-ing will help when it is just two faces, one from each brush. The other faces get destroyed.

Maybe I'm just retarded, but I can't get that nice round corner. It's like there is just a ton of extra brush trying to fit in the corner area. Gets all cramped and overlapped, just results in a seam.

Subdividing didn't help either.

I'll try making it with an arch.

6. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
  7. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I guess the FPSbanana one is somewhat clever.

8. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, hard to say what you mean exactly is the prob without pics.

I'd say the best bet is to make a cube, then cut the corner a few times to make it 'rounder' like an arch. Then select ALL of the faces around the corner and turn into displacement. You can have as many of the faces be displacement on a brush as you want, you just have to selecet them all before you make it a displacement.

Then they will already be 'sewn' together and you paint them all at once. I like to pick a fairly large radius and a very small 'lift' like 1. Then paint in fast circles. This gives a pretty even smooth surface. If you paint too long in one spot you get jaggy terrain.

If you pick all faces around the corner and hit subdivide you should get a nice arc, but it's really hard to align the top of the rocks to that.

9. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Need to make the displacement rocks basically flow around the corner, between the catwalk and the plaster.

10. Cinnamon Whirl

Cinnamon Whirl L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    That seems like a something I'd subdivide. You said it didn't work before - what exactly did it do / not do?

11. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Just gave the faces a slight curve outwards, didn't help with rounding the corner at all.

12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I want to re post this, but you can ignore the mitred joints, they dont actually matter.
    Your edjes have to line up 100% to sew properly, if you are getting a seam they aren't touching properly (or you haven't hit sew) properly
    follow the guide and manipulate each point individually. you're making this a huge fuss it really doesn't need to be, displacements are dead simple, you've just let them scare you.
    oh, and don't bother with subdivide! and everyone else stop telling people to subdivide! its almost like carving: only do it when you know what you are doing

13. shpladoink

shpladoink L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    looks like you could just sew them together and pull verts around as you need