Roughshod

KotH Roughshod rc2

tehOMGfather

L1: Registered
Nov 15, 2009
SUNDAY! SUNDAY! MONDAY! Yes… Monday!

Allow me to present to you KotH Roughshod. A somewhat vertical locked in a mining setting King of the Hill map with enough room for 24 players to collectively fight over a point. It's been through mostly private testing to spare everyone from getting sick of it. It's also my first public release so go easy on me.

I do hope you all enjoy it.

Last edited:

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
I do have to say, this looks absolutely incredible. Please, if you happen to be still developing this map (even though the description reads Final), put it into a Gameday ASAP!

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I downloaded it and took a quick look.

Everything seems fine, but you have a lot of health right by the point, and none of your stairs have playerclips! That is a cardinal sin of mapping!

GooGuGajoob

L12: Pro-crastinator
Mar 28, 2014
Ah pffft, the clipping really isn't a problem. That's just some standard supposedly 'agreed' on by the community. Junction is everyone's worst map choice, but it's in TF2 so, ya know?..

chemelia

yndersn't
aa
May 11, 2014
Ah pffft, the clipping really isn't a problem. That's just some standard supposedly 'agreed' on by the community. Junction is everyone's worst map choice, but it's in TF2 so, ya know?..

But it can negatively affect gameplay, as well as have the annoying jitter. If you jump while walking up, you get stopped in your tracks.

tehOMGfather

Nov 15, 2009
First off, thanks all for all the praise and feedback. I hope you guys enjoy the look and feel.

I downloaded it and took a quick look.

Everything seems fine, but you have a lot of health right by the point, and none of your stairs have playerclips! That is a cardinal sin of mapping!

But it can negatively affect gameplay, as well as have the annoying jitter. If you jump while walking up, you get stopped in your tracks.

Regarding the health, after several initial play tests the current locations flanking the point are actually quite ideal in terms of risk and reward. Not to mention the only kind of health nearest the point are small health packs and everything else requires running high or low. In most cases, that health won't be enough to save you when both sides are both rushing the point. I've also received the opposite feedback that there wasn't enough health on the map :blink: I can't please everyone apparently.

As for the stairs, you're right. It's a detail that I totally missed and forgot to add it! I agree with Ynders that it *could* cause a problem with jumping and it does cause a bit of shakiness. The stairs on this map aren't as bad as others I've seen.

I don't have high hopes of this one being included in any official community map pack updates. So for the time being I'll leave it as-is to prevent any annoying map mis-matches and naming confusion since I marked it "final" with it's simple name. I can quickly recompile it with a quick stair fix if you want, but for the time being I'm going to leave it.

puxorb

aa
Dec 15, 2013
I played this today with bots for an hour, testing some minor balance issues. (Bots are good for testing sniper and engineer spots.) I felt that is was incredibly well balanced. I like the use of height, and there are plenty of arrows and lighting cues to keep you from getting lost.

However, I do think you have sort of dug your own grave here. By releasing it as a final version, without the usual suffixes that we tend to follow, you have locked your map up. I found the stairs super annoying. I really do think they need to be changed. When jumping up the stairs, if you catch a step the right way, you can get stuck and temporarily hang in the air for a half second. That can get you killed. Also the view bobbing when walking up as a revved up heavy is just annoying.

I really do think you should add clipping to the stairs. As you said, it was something you completely overlooked and that is understandable, but every valve map incorporates clipping onto every staircase, turning them into a ramp. So as it stands right now it is not a final version of itself.

I understand that adding a "_fix" or even a "_final" suffix is not what you want to do. You wanted this to be a final version of the map and honestly it really does feel like one. But I wouldn't justify it as a complete version until it smooth and seamless. This is why we have large community testing events, to find these issues and eradicate them early into development so that nothing is overlooked.

tehOMGfather

Nov 15, 2009
For the moment, I've taken down the downloads. I'm going to work out a quick fix and a naming solution and I'll have it back up in a couple of hours.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
This is why you never, ever claim your map is "final". Even Valve knew that their products would never truly be done; that's a big part of why Steam exists!

puxorb

aa
Dec 15, 2013
Actually, I think the "_final" suffix might work since all the community maps that went official have it. Whatever you choose to do I think it will be worth it. This is a really good map.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Actually, I think the "_final" suffix might work since all the community maps that went official have it. Whatever you choose to do I think it will be worth it. This is a really good map.

ctf_turbine
cp_fastlane
cp_steel
cp_coldfront

EDIT: Also, is anyone else getting what seems to be a missing texture in BLU spawn?

Last edited:

tehOMGfather

Nov 15, 2009
This is why you never, ever claim your map is "final". Even Valve knew that their products would never truly be done; that's a big part of why Steam exists!

Right, except the main problem with steam is that they're the only one that can *easily* push map updates from a point of authority. Like, even if this was the steam workshop it probably wouldn't be a big deal. But given how I've let a mistake as small as this run for 24+ hours before catching it in the wild, pushing an update to those who've already downloaded the map has created confusion if I want to keep the filename the same. Which is annoying for anyone including myself, which is sometimes why I wish the workshop supported more than hats for TF2 (generally as there is no maps section, right?).

As for the suffix, I think only one or two maps actually use it for the same reason I may need to. Simple dumb mistakes forcing them to :\

EDIT: Also, is anyone else getting what seems to be a missing texture in BLU spawn?

Which texture are you seeing that is missing? And can you get a screenshot for me?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Still, you should never assume your map is done, and thus never name it as if it were. There was a time when people were in the habit of giving their "finished" maps version suffixes: _v1, _v2, etc. For some reason that stopped in favor of "release candidates" which is a patently absurd term since they've been "released" to the public since as early as their first alpha.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
"Release Candidate" as in "Candidate for Finished Release"

tehOMGfather

Nov 15, 2009
Alright, I fixed the silly stairs. Uploaded a new version (_rel1) which should solve all issues.

If those dinky small health packs are an issue, let me know I may move them out a bit further if necessary but don't really see the need at the moment.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Alright, I fixed the silly stairs. Uploaded a new version (_rel1) which should solve all issues.

If those dinky small health packs are an issue, let me know I may move them out a bit further if necessary but don't really see the need at the moment.

rel?
Is that for release candidate?
Use rc if it is.