Rotating skybox [complex entity problem]

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
@nerdboy:
Wouldn't it have to be constantly accelerating? Because if it's simply moving up at a constant rate you wouldn't notice it once your inertia levels out or whatnot. I mean not only is the earth spinning REALLY fast but the entire solar system is whizzing through the universe even faster, but we don't notice it because it's a constant rate and we go right along with it.

That's the point. Assuming inertia works properly, you'll feel absolutely nothing but still be pushed against it. Problem: don't jump or you'll fall over.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
That's the point. Assuming inertia works properly, you'll feel absolutely nothing but still be pushed against it. Problem: don't jump or you'll fall over.

(Jumping would still work...)

and the next time someone uses centrifugal force/acceleration :)facepalm:) you must banish yourself to the infinite plane of uniform density... or ... make maps for the rest of your life - in a frictionless vacuum...

experiment.png

Most people choose the first option.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
The point is, in order for something to be orbiting a celestial body it must exert exactly enough centrifugal (or centripetal, I cbf to check which) to counter the gravity of the body it is orbiting. Since both forces scale with mass, the objects inside the orbiting body would experience no force from these motions, as they would cancel one another out.. Hence why we don't feel the centrifugal force from the earth's orbit, and neither do we feel the sun's gravity.

-The more you know

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
It could be constantly propelling itself up.

It sounds to me like you're actually talking about a ship (one with "flat" interior surfaces) that is constantly accelerating at at 1G. To avoid going too far from anything interesting, you could have it thrust so that it runs in a continuous circle in which it always faces the center.

Of course, you could avoid burning a lot of expensive propellant by tethering it to a counter-ship across the midpoint, and maybe fill in the other areas to get an entire spinning ring that... oh wait, now it's a spinny space-station. ;)

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
Of course, you could avoid burning a lot of expensive propellant by tethering it to a counter-ship across the midpoint, and maybe fill in the other areas to get an entire spinning ring that... oh wait, now it's a spinny space-station. ;)

Speaking of which, I've recently had the idea to make a spinning, cylindrical TF2 map.

Obviously I can't effect gravity, so it wouldn't truely be a space station, but it would have very interesting game play none the less (as the entire map rotates around cover appears and disappears, and clever players can sit next to a wall waiting for it to become a floor to get height advantage...until they fall off).

Some things would have fixed placement (player spawns, the CP*, etc.) but I think it could be interesting to play, if only making the map rotate wasn't buggy as hell.

*I figure it'd be an arena/koth map.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Speaking of which, I've recently had the idea to make a spinning, cylindrical TF2 map.

Obviously I can't effect gravity, so it wouldn't truely be a space station, but it would have very interesting game play none the less (as the entire map rotates around cover appears and disappears, and clever players can sit next to a wall waiting for it to become a floor to get height advantage...until they fall off).

Some things would have fixed placement (player spawns, the CP*, etc.) but I think it could be interesting to play, if only making the map rotate wasn't buggy as hell.

*I figure it'd be an arena/koth map.

I had a similiar idea, except it was a Koth/Arena Map where you could walk on walls and ceilings. This idea was shot down when i realized the play orientates to the -z axis.