Rotating & Moving Stuff

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
I'm thinking about making a map which has a lot of moving and rotating things in it, but I'm having trouble making them work properly.

First, I've got a flat square that move sup and down like a lift, using the func_tracktrain and path_track entity and func_brush. The problem is, the square and everything parented to it are flipped so they're on their side. How do I fix it so that everything is the right way up?

Second, I've got a floor I want to spin like a carosel. I tried making a brush in the shape of the rotating platform and made it into a func_rotating, but in the game the brush doesn't rotate, but you kind of stutter around in a circle if you stand on it. I tried the same using a flat, platform-like prop and parented it to a func_rotating with the nodraw texture, and got the same result. How do I fix this so that the prop/brush actually rotates?

I'm going to make my own props to replace the moving & rotating things, so if the solution is to make prop_dynamics will that help anyway?

Smetzle

L3: Member
May 20, 2009
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggRuUq2ayo0"]YouTube - Source SDK tutorial - Rotating objects[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEGuXyo7o2Q"]YouTube - Source SDK Tutorial - ELEVATORS, TRAINS AND TRACKS[/ame]

Also, the rest of 3kliksphilip's tutorials can be found here.

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009

That doesnt seem to work for tf2 the way it does for counterstrike. the block i made rotates, but the player just hovers in the same spot if they stand on it, they dont rotate with the block. Also, if they walk into the side they get stuck and can't move

That doesn't answer my problem. I can make the lift move with no problem, it just rotates 90 degrees upwards so i have this vertical moving panel no-one can stand on, but its flat in the editor. How do i stop it turning itself when the map starts?

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
There's a flag under the func_tracktrain called 'Fixed Orientation'. Check it and the platform will face the exact same angles as seen in Hammer.

Forthex

L2: Junior Member
Aug 2, 2008
You also might want to try adding another path_track past each end of the lift's movement, so that it does not "flip" when it reaves either end.

Last edited: