Ropes do not work

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by mitterdoo, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mitterdoo

mitterdoo L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi. I'm making a TF2 capture point map called cp_drawbridge, where there's 5 caps, 2 red, 2 blue, and one unowned on the drawbridge. On setup the drawbridge is already raised, and when setup finishes, the drawbridge lowers. Basically it's the same cap setup as cp_well. So the drawbridge has a 'pulley' with the part that moves up and down and the two counter-weights. They both have ropes to two 'wheels', but when the bridge lowers, the ropes don't move. I parented the roped to the needed brushes, but they don't work. I tried making the parented rope parts info_targets, but it still doesn't work. If anybody can help me please do.

2. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ropes have been broken in TF2 since release. Sorry.

3. Yacan1

aa Yacan1 D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't work like Garry's mod. I'm not sure about the whole drawbridge concept but, I'm sure it could work if you use func_door or something of that sorts.

4. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Ropes can't move in TF2 afaik. They work if they're static though.

5. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Ropes can never be affected by physics or other actions in TF2. They don't even reset when a new round begins.

6. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Wrong (okay, a little right)

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong (alright, sorta.)

Fun Fact: there are moving ropes in arena_backlot. How do you think I got the cap point to lower on ropes?

You need to use a logic_movement_measure. The keyvalues are pretty self explanitory, just choose what is the reference (stationary) prop entity, then the one that it measures (for me they were both the same func_door) then choose the entity that is moving (the name of the keyframe_rope) then what it is referenceing (the first 2 keyvalues). Set the movement scale to 1:1 and the type to Position.

It may require a little bit of twiddling around with, but you can do it that way. My ropes only moved linearly though, I don't know what will happen if they move at an angle.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  7. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Nerdboy is right, I had the same trouble with my Valve Artpass entry. Ropes wont reset on a round reset and as demonstrated by your "work around" ropes aren't directly affected by physics objects. Your work around simulates physics reactions but isn't a true rope dynamic.

Best solution: Use an animated prop.

8. mitterdoo

Positive Ratings:
    It KINDA works. It only works with one rope. All the rest stay still.

9. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You need to have a logic ent for each rope that is moving.

10. mitterdoo

Positive Ratings:
    That's what I have. This will be easier if I just added you on steam.

11. honeymustard

honeymustard L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    There's moving ropes in Upland too. Just sayin'.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just listen to this and you'll get the general Idea of what he just said, In a song :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQxhOYqLPdY