Ropes and Sparks not working?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Fr0Z3nR, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, so I know how to make ropes, I thought i knew how to make ropes (well, wires in my case...) that dangle, but it doesnt seem to go the full length I want it to, and when i turn Collid with world on, it gliches. :facepalm:

Also, I am trying to add env_spark to the end of it (to represent an arcing wire)... this doesn't seem to want to work either, as in, they arn't showing up...

In the end i would like a dangling wire with sparks coming off the end... any help? (To make the spark move with wire, I am setting the keyframe_rope name as the parent to the spark, so if that is wrong, correct me)

Thanks in advanced.

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Ropes suck in TF2, their code is stripped down. Good for little more than static decoration.

3. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Any suggestion then for a way to show that water is electrified, and will probably will hurt while being in it?

4. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Well env_spark should work, they are used on payloads, it may have been not working because it was attached to a rope. That should be sufficient if placed by some kind of electrical thing other than a wire.

5. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    If the water is electified, set the trigger_hurt's damage type to SHOCK. That will produce little sparks around the player's feet that triggers it

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  6. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, I have that... I'll probably just add a "Danger high voltage" sign or something...

But, is there no way to make a dangly rope with sparks coming off it, or is it just way to glitchy to take the time to worry about?

7. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Why not just have a static wire? It's pretty simple to position it, if that fails you can always use a func_physbox tied with a phys_lengthconstraint to a point high up, a rope with the destination parented to the physbox and a point_tesla at the bottom of that.

8. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, I'll look into that.

I just added a "danger high voltage" sign for now, when I put my map into alpha 3 I'll look into doing that... I actually kinda get what your saying, but I need to put it together to make sure.

9. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    But that's the thing, dynamic ropes don't really work very well in TF2.