ARENA Roflman

AngryAngus

L3: Member
Jul 20, 2011
This is actually pretty good for a first map.
I agree with this, there are a few problems such as it being rather small but there are a lot of worse things you could do of done but didn't! Make sure you take Frozen's comments into account, they are all very true comments.

Also +1 for what I think is a mayo chiki avatar.

Roll

-in a daze-
aa
Jun 19, 2009
Updated the map slightly. Not according to Frozen's suggestions, just a simple expansion. I have, however, taken the suggestions into definite consideration and will adjust my map accordingly as I progress. Hopefully I'll be able to get my map tested to see where exactly problems lie.

I really appreciate the feedback and comments so far, and await more as I continue to work on this map.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Why do people use gray for floors and also gray for walls? I always thought it was gray floors, orange walls. I mean it doesn't matter much which one exactly, just use a texture that's a bit more different than just a bigger grid for walls I'd say.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Why do people use gray for floors and also gray for walls? I always thought it was gray floors, orange walls. I mean it doesn't matter much which one exactly, just use a texture that's a bit more different than just a bigger grid for walls I'd say.

Orange for walls? That's a nightmare on the eyes.

Grey is suited towards neutrality, usually indicating an area belonging to neither team. Plus it's easier to spot players against a dull, shaded background, rather than a vibrant one where they would just blend in.

But anyway, it looks like a nice map so far! I'll have a run round on it sometime~

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Orange for walls? That's a nightmare on the eyes.

Grey is suited towards neutrality, usually indicating an area belonging to neither team. Plus it's easier to spot players against a dull, shaded background, rather than a vibrant one where they would just blend in.

Players don't blend into orange backgrounds, and there's literally no way that making the entire map gray is defensible. It makes depth perception and navigating the map much more difficult (read: fucking impossible). It's not obnoxious either, unless the mapper leaves hdr on or something.

Use different coloured dev textures to differentiate walls and floor, there's literally 0 reason not to.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
So use white walls and gray floors, whatever. Orange dev walls are still being used a lot in maps, they're in official Valve tutorials and their own dev builds of maps too sometimes. It also was never once mentioned on my own map like a year ago so I dunno why it's suddenly the worst thing to say :v

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
It also was never once mentioned on my own map like a year ago so I dunno why it's suddenly the worst thing to say :v

addendum: I have never heard anyone complain about this until today in the last four years of testing maps.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Haha, I'm just saying I personally would prefer the floor/wall textures in an early alpha to be a bit more different. White walls, orange walls, just not also gray walls. (Also in retrospect wondering how orange walls became so prevalent/why Valve chose them). That's all, sorry :<

Roll

-in a daze-
aa
Jun 19, 2009
Updated to a4. My friend came up with a name (kudos to him), but I'm not sure if it's possible to change the thread title. This update just addresses a few minor things from playtesting, so not many changes.

I've also made an experimental KOTH variant, found here, since arena isn't so popular. But because the layout was created with arena in mind, it may not work out as well in koth.

As always, comments and criticisms are welcomed and appreciated.