ARENA Roflman

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Roll, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Roll

aa Roll -in a daze-

Positive Ratings:
    Workaround

My first attempt at mapping. Decided to go with something relatively simple, small, and easy. Hopefully I'll be able to learn from this map and make much better ones in the near future.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Looks simple. With arena, you want choices (high/low route, left/right flanks type thing)... You really just have a couple side routes and a main yard. You might want to make that main yard smaller, and have some more side routes/even small "yards"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    af5 entries were about as simple, yet they were alright. i say this looks testable already.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is actually pretty good for a first map.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. AngryAngus

AngryAngus L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I agree with this, there are a few problems such as it being rather small but there are a lot of worse things you could do of done but didn't! Make sure you take Frozen's comments into account, they are all very true comments.

Also +1 for what I think is a mayo chiki avatar.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Roll

aa Roll -in a daze-

Positive Ratings:
    Updated the map slightly. Not according to Frozen's suggestions, just a simple expansion. I have, however, taken the suggestions into definite consideration and will adjust my map accordingly as I progress. Hopefully I'll be able to get my map tested to see where exactly problems lie.

I really appreciate the feedback and comments so far, and await more as I continue to work on this map.

7. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Why do people use gray for floors and also gray for walls? I always thought it was gray floors, orange walls. I mean it doesn't matter much which one exactly, just use a texture that's a bit more different than just a bigger grid for walls I'd say.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    because orange is an obnoxious colour, especially with a yellow sun beating down on it.

Grey is also nuetral to each team.

9. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Orange for walls? That's a nightmare on the eyes.

Grey is suited towards neutrality, usually indicating an area belonging to neither team. Plus it's easier to spot players against a dull, shaded background, rather than a vibrant one where they would just blend in.

But anyway, it looks like a nice map so far! I'll have a run round on it sometime~

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Players don't blend into orange backgrounds, and there's literally no way that making the entire map gray is defensible. It makes depth perception and navigating the map much more difficult (read: fucking impossible). It's not obnoxious either, unless the mapper leaves hdr on or something.

Use different coloured dev textures to differentiate walls and floor, there's literally 0 reason not to.

11. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    So use white walls and gray floors, whatever. Orange dev walls are still being used a lot in maps, they're in official Valve tutorials and their own dev builds of maps too sometimes. It also was never once mentioned on my own map like a year ago so I dunno why it's suddenly the worst thing to say :v

12. Sel

Sel Banned

Positive Ratings:
    addendum: I have never heard anyone complain about this until today in the last four years of testing maps.

13. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

14. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    I like the way devtextures are used here.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Haha, I'm just saying I personally would prefer the floor/wall textures in an early alpha to be a bit more different. White walls, orange walls, just not also gray walls. (Also in retrospect wondering how orange walls became so prevalent/why Valve chose them). That's all, sorry :<

16. Roll

aa Roll -in a daze-

Positive Ratings:
    Updated to a3. I'll probably wait for a proper test before I continue to work on this anymore.

Thanks again for all comments and criticism so far.

17. Roll

aa Roll -in a daze-

Positive Ratings:
    Updated to a4. My friend came up with a name (kudos to him), but I'm not sure if it's possible to change the thread title. This update just addresses a few minor things from playtesting, so not many changes.

I've also made an experimental KOTH variant, found here, since arena isn't so popular. But because the layout was created with arena in mind, it may not work out as well in koth.

As always, comments and criticisms are welcomed and appreciated.

18. Roll

aa Roll -in a daze-

Positive Ratings:
    Updated to a5, based on the gameday test on the KOTH variant and suggestions from people who know better than I. Not sure how it will affect arena, hopefully positively.