ARENA Rocks

Silverus

L3: Member
Jun 19, 2011
Signal

Arena Signal is an arena map based around or in the "Pits of America" (near Gravelpit), where both teams fight over a radio tower in the centre of the map.
{Insert Epic Story Here}

Last edited:

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
In the last screenshot I can see a room through the skybox on the left.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007

You've never played an alpha before then??

That's a pretty meaningless comment for an alpha, in all of my alphas you can see through skybox walls like that, as soon as the map gets a lick of detail though, the skybox moves way back and the proper walls become visible and hide the room.

You can even see the roof of that building extends to a point where the wall would hide the room... just give it time.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
If players can see into it easily during gameplay, it is not a meaningless comment.

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
You've never played an alpha before then??

That's a pretty meaningless comment for an alpha, in all of my alphas you can see through skybox walls like that, as soon as the map gets a lick of detail though, the skybox moves way back and the proper walls become visible and hide the room.

You can even see the roof of that building extends to a point where the wall would hide the room... just give it time.
I've always assumed people fixed that sort of problem before even releasing the map. I know I do.

Anyway it is worth fixing if the room in question is, say, spawnroom, or some other important room it is vital not to be able to see into from outside.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
For a first, second or even third alpha when no one really knows where anything is, it doesn't matter hugely. Even if being able to see does hold some advantage, players rarely seem to utilize it.

I know value being able to test asap, which makes things like this a very low priority for early alphas, I know lots of other people's alphas have things like this too.

Jeremy

Oct 24, 2010
*shrug*

I guess it depends on the person. I prefer to fix this sort of problem before releasing a map, and I'm sure other people do as well.

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
This looks good :V

Silverus

Jun 19, 2011

Just for you, I'll fix it in the next version, after I get some testing. I should've noticed that, but for some reason I didn't, but in game, it shouldn't be too bad, you'd only be able to see someone right against the wall on the second floor, right in front of the stairs.
Also, the name of the map will be arena_signal, thanks to Boylee for the name, it was exactly what I was looking for!

Schrikvis

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2011
It's a T-shaped map with a building in the middle.
That's brilliant, mainly because in most other arena maps the buildings are on the borders of the map.
The one truck looks a teeny tiny bit awkward though.

Good luck!

EDIT: I just had a quick game with some bots.
The nav_generate command failed as the bots didn't seem to care about anything, but
they performed fine during my melee-only test.

Last edited:

Silverus

Jun 19, 2011
It's a T-shaped map with a building in the middle.
That's brilliant, mainly because in most other arena maps the buildings are on the borders of the map.
The one truck looks a teeny tiny bit awkward though.

Good luck!
Thanks, but does the truck look awkward cause it's just kinda there?

Also, bump for feedback from the gameday, was anyone there?

Silverus

Jun 19, 2011
felt a bit overscaled in some places. others said the size is ok so maybe im just talking shit
i think its just the outside of spawn area, the overscaled part, but ill add some props to make it more interesting later.

Silverus

Jun 19, 2011
Bump for the gameday.
Anything that should be changed? Is it a bit overscaled? I wasn't able to make it, and there wasn't much feedback, except that it was 'fun' (not sure about their credentials though), so you guys will have to fill me in, I can't read minds! :p

Silverus

Jun 19, 2011
A3 now!
Displacements, a good amount of pickups (there is now 4 small health, 4 small ammo and 2 medium ammo), and made the courtyard thing in front of spawn to be smaller.
Pics:
arena_signal_a30001.jpg

arena_signal_a30002.jpg

arena_signal_a30003.jpg

Silverus

Jun 19, 2011
Bump for the Gameday.
So, a few less healthpacks, and technical issues is all I heard about. Any geometry-altering changes i should make? Im probably moving it to Beta or detailing it next version.