KotH Rock Top

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Top Notch

This is my first TF2 map. It's a small king of the hill map that takes place on a platform on top of a large rock. I have yet to get a 3D skybox to work correctly but to my knowlage have set everthing else up correctly. Please let me know if there are any issues and if all possible how to fix said issues.

Thanks,

MegapiemanPHD

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I'd recommend not relying on props so heavily as a source of map structure. They clutter TF2 maps up pretty quickly, making the map feel disjointed.

A shed with a crate next to it works great. A courtyard making a maze out of crates, not so much.

T

The Asylum

The point is way too boxed in imo. KOTH points need to be able to see-saw back and forth between teams, or the first team to cap it will usually hold it until the end

See also: Pre-update Viaduct

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
those doors are HL2 textures which doesn't look good. You have a large amount of props that just looks strange, you could probably replace some with a wall or something. Like how the Asylum said, the point is really boxed in, one rocket blast or sticky bomb could ruin anyone on the point.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
There are more boxes and crates than in cp_energy. HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE

Also I'm pretty sure I can see some HL2 textures. Such as the skybox.

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
What do I do for the sky texture though? I can copy the colors and angles but I don't know where to put the texture for it.
Texture the skybox brushes with tools/toolsskybox. Then go to Map > Map Properties and enter the name of the tf2 skybox texture you want into the field called SkyBox Texture Name.

Yeah, it's pretty unintuitive.

Also, when you compile the map, the console will tell you that the skybox textures couldn't be loaded. I don't know why it says that, but It's a dirty lie and you shouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Could someone help me fix this missing texture thing? All I changed was making the skybox match that of upward useing the TF2 sky list. This seems to show up on floors and celings that are inside and show up on top of the normal texture.

beta4_what.png

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I'm going to guess those are reflective textures, and what you're actually seeing is the missing cubemap.

Either bring up the console and type "mat_specular 0" to temporarily get rid of the ugly, or build the cubemaps with a console sequence something like:

mat_specular 0
map my_map
buildcubemaps
disconnect
mat_specular 1
mat_reloadallmaterials
map my_map

TF2 has a hideous purple default cubemap, I presume to remind developers to build them before distributing the map.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
If I build the cubemap through the console will it work for anyone who uses the map or do I have to do something with env_cubemap?

I feel like you're misunderstanding the basic idea around cubemaps in general, so sorry if you know this.

For reflections to work you need to put env_cubemap entities in your map in Hammer, usually over water or reflective surfaces. You don't need a lot of them--look at SDK maps to get an idea (Badlands has a freakishly large amount).

Then you open your map in TF2, disable reflections (sv_cheats 1; mat_specular 0) and build cubemaps (buildcubemaps). Turn specular back on and reload your map (map cp_mapname). You should see reflections. You need to do this for every compile if you want working reflections.