Roatating Door Question

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by LordNor, Jun 26, 2009.

1. LordNor

LordNor L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Good Morning,

So far none of the tutorials have told me exactly how to do this, so without further ado...I wan this door(vault thingy) to open when the game starts [Here is Pic]

just realized i spelt rotating wrong, go sticky "a" key

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  2. TracerDX

TracerDX L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    You'll need to parent that as prop_dynamic to an invisible func_door_rotating brush, preferably the same size as the door prop. Make sure its "Delay Before Reset" is -1 and that the "Touch to Open" flag is unchecked so it stays in whatever state you want it in.

Then, assuming this is going to work like a startup gate, you use a team_round_timer's OnSetupFinished output to fire the door's Open input.

3. Pianodan

Pianodan L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure that you drag the origin of the func_door_rotating to the center of the hinges, so it is rotating about the correct axis.

4. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, prop_door_rotating exists for the purpose of rotating prop doors.

5. TracerDX

Positive Ratings:
    Oh... my bad. :blushing: Didn't know about that one.

6. LordNor

Positive Ratings:
    im new so when u say "You'll need to parent that as prop_dynamic to an invisible func_door_rotating brush,"...how do I go about doing zat? :bored: sorry im new

7. pl

pl L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    1) Find your door's prop_dynamic and press Alt-Enter
    2) Look for a "Parent" parameter in the list and click the drop-down menu
    3) From the list of names of entities, select the func_door_rotating's name (give the func_door_rotating a name if you haven't already done so),
    4) Hit Apply and your prop_dynamic and func_door_rotating are now parented :)

8. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    :( no... make the door a prop_door_rotating and then you can set it up like a regular door.

9. TracerDX

Positive Ratings:
    As ABS said,

1. Use the entity tool to create a prop_door_rotating
    2. Set its model to that door
    3. Give it a name like "door_startup1_red" or whatever
    4. Move its center (a moveable circle/ball in the views) to the "hinge", this is will be the center of rotation
    5. Set its "Delay before reset" to -1
    6. Uncheck "Use Closes" from the Flags tab.
    7. Use the entity tool to place a team_round_timer anywhere in the map. Set its values up to include a Setup time.
    8. Go to the Output tab, and Add an output "OnSetupFinished", Target: "door_startup1_red" or whatever you named it, and set "Via this Input" to Open.

10. LordNor

Positive Ratings:
    so i have to delete the prop_static (door) i have right now and create an entity with the same model?

Edit: Oh i see alright kk thnx guys if i have anymore questions ill edit this again :p

PROBLEM!: how do i make the hinge... its circle is where i want it but which axis is it on...?i want it Z of course Also what values should i use for the setup timer...im confuzzled

11. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    By default things rotate in the Z axis, you need to set one of the flags to make it rotate another way. You should explore tabs and try things more :)

12. WillC3D

WillC3D L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I had a issue with using func_door_rotating, and so found this thread. I tried using prop_door_rotating instead.

Perhaps I have missed something.

Prop_door_rotating has the "Hinge Axis" property, with two coordinates as a value to set the Hinge axis. No matter where I set these two coordinates, using the helper, the door always rotates along the prop's center, in Z axis. Possibly a bug. I've been trying to set for Y axis. There is no flag for this to check for this entity. I must use func_door_rotating of there is no solution for this.