Roadstead

KotH Roadstead A1c

Popo

L1: Registered
Jun 13, 2009
Roadstead - A king of the hill map set in a coal shipping port.

Overview

Anchor your ship in our peaceful waters and take a wander through our lovely port.

But please steer clear of the top of the hill. There's a bunch of mercenaries fighting over some sort of 'rocket' apparently.

Future:

Make use of the bulletcrops project props with existing mining/shipping props for setting.

Improve layout based on feedback.

Known Issues:

Missing spawn room visualiser for both teams.
Poor lighting on the points prop.
Chain fences do not let light through properly.

Thanks

Crash for his video guides, A Boojum Snark for the mapping pack, Ravidge for the lighting, Grazr for the many many tutorials. And many more people I will add here eventually. Sorry if I missed you.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Just so you know, map leaks have nothing to do with water. (I can see where you got confused though ;)) It basically means that your map isn't sealed - there's a hole in it leading to the void that surrounds your map.

Check the compile log for "*** leaked ***" errors (usually at the top of the log), it'll tell you where the leak is. It'll also generate a pointfile which will tell you exactly where the leak is, which you can access through Maps > Load Pointfile.

If the compile log intimidates you too much, just copy and paste it here and it'll tell you everything you need to know.

Further reading

Popo

Jun 13, 2009
Nah, I get it. The issue was the brush being a water texture, and I didn't have the proper controller entity for it. Therefore it made the map leak because that brush was supposed to be sealing the map. Yeah, a bit silly.

My point in getting rid of the water was to just get it up and get testing, as the water is just part of the non-player part of the level. I'm looking forward to the next test day so I can start iterating. At the moment I'm too tempted to start an artpass which would most likely be wasted.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Nah, I get it. The issue was the brush being a water texture, and I didn't have the proper controller entity for it. Therefore it made the map leak because that brush was supposed to be sealing the map. Yeah, a bit silly.

Water will never seal your map because players can go & see through it.

Popo

Jun 13, 2009
Water will never seal your map because players can go & see through it.
I made the assumption at the time only because I thought just the water texture applied to the surface wouldn't change the brush's behaviour, just give it a still water texture. Heh anyway, lesson learned and thanks for the tip regarding sealing. I had placed a nodraw brush underneath, but of course forgot about the sides.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014

Popo

Jun 13, 2009
Except your map is still leaking. Telltale signs of a leak include unnaturally dark lighting (as a result of the compile generating direct lighting only, ie no light bounces) and also this happening when you noclip out of the map.

EDIT: berry pls don't ninja me

I'm very puzzled about how hammer isn't always giving me a pointfile then. I had changed the brush before, and generated no pointfile at the time. To test what you're saying I just opened it again and saw it generated a leak, so... not sure how it got there.

Anyway, that's why I got this map out now to find errors early before test day. Thanks all.