CTF Rift RC3

A Jungle/Mayan Ruins themed Invade CTF map.

1. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Since you changed the base area I've only seen it played once with a small number of people. Maybe it could do with a bit more play testing.

Perhaps you should fix the minor things pointed out in feedback in the meantime and save large changes for a later time.

2. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    We did do a test of b3 on a nearly full server, and it turned out that the new route was the ONLY route people wanted to take, because of the natural attraction to higher ground. So tw defense just plopped a sentry in there, and no one could get through. The addition to make attacking easier just made it harder, hence what I said about the map getting worse whenever I change something.

3. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  4. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
  5. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    [>--==-<|Beta 4|>-==--<]

6. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    We played this in a test on the Winged Bombardiers Class Warfare server, with about 16-20 people for a lot of it. Everyone really seemed to enjoy the map, and I know I had a lot more fun than I did testing the older versions.

That being said, there's an issue that really stuck out to me. People rarely pushed into the cap zone through the upper level. As a result, everyone was always at a height disadvantage trying to move in.

[​IMG]

...probably because the only up there is through this area. The other ways into the cap zone are a lot quicker, safer and easier to make it to, and you're less likely to die while you were moving in through those. The ramps leading up here are more out of the way and intersect with the faster routes, making it less desirable and resulting in a chunk of the map remaining largely unused.

My recommendation? Put a ramp where that rock prop currently is. A quicker way to move between the height levels will highlight this route a lot more.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    [>--==-<|Beta 5|>-==--<]

8. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like a good bunch of changes. I look forward to playing it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    Your skybox boundary is noticeably right at the edge of the playable area. Most maps have a bit of a "buffer zone" if you will, which also serves the function of allowing bullets or projectiles to get farther away from players before they disappear. For immersion purposes.

With 3D skyboxes turned off:
    [​IMG]

I'd also recommend making the buildings that make up the temple taller. It's really easy to see what's being rendered from where at any given point on the map.
    Most immediate example?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then there's this.
    [​IMG]

Also, I don't really feel like this roof or the tower fit with the theme of the rest of the map, especially the crenelation on top of the tower. Maybe look at what Angkor does with its visible roofs.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Also, there should be visual inlets or non-accessible tunnels at either end of this bridge. Right now it looks like it could never have been used.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  10. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I've decided I'm going to take yet another break from working on this map, and probably mapping as a whole(at least after the 72hr contest) for a while. I just don't really know where to go with this map, but I've put way too much time into it to just up and abandon it forever.

A few people have mentioned in steam chat that they'd like to try their hand at detailing this map better than I have, and I told them I would hand out the vmf as soon as I was comfortable with how the map played. Since I don't know if I'll reach that point anytime soon, I've attached the vmf of B6, the latest version, on the main thread(B6 was done and uploaded, but I never updated this thread for it). I guess if anyone would like to rip out some detailing or find out how did anything, they could use the vmf for that as well.

Thanks for all your time.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  11. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    PASS_RIFT_B7A

The ctf_rift you know and love/hate/are impartial of is back, but now with more balls! New gamemode, plus some super secret layout tweaks made for the ctf version!

DOWNLOAD NOW

p.s. I'll be releasing the ctf version of b7a soon-ish

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  12. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing Soon it will be different

Positive Ratings:
    Awesome! I have a feeling that this should play well in PASS Time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    PASS_RIFT_B8

[​IMG]

DOWNLOAD NOW

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  14. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
  15. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    It's just sky_well_01, the darker blue on top is because of the uber screen overlay. If you mean the trees in the back, they were made by squintik for pl_angkor.

16. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  17. radarhead

aa radarhead Level 20 "Mapper"

Positive Ratings:
  18. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry, I've been trying to fix the download(it used to give you the b6 vmf for whatever reason), and couldn't get it to work. I realized I didn't add a new update string in the Download Update form.

19. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    It's back!

<|-[=(-{B9A}-)=]-|>

MAJOR
    -Switched gamemode back to Invade CTF
    -There are now 3 separate goals which must be capped in order(Diagonal wall, Tower, Pyramid)
    -Increased overall spawn times

MINOR
    -Detail & lighting improvements
    -3D sky improvements
    -Probably definitely some stuff I've forgotten

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  20. Ynders

Positive Ratings:
    Rift isn't dead!

I am working somewhat steadily on B10, which will include a switch back to classic Invade CTF(where it'll hopefully stay until RC), a host of small detail improvements, and a rearranged last area. Here's a sneaky-peeky image of what you can expect:

[​IMG]

P.S. I'm also looking for a new name for the map. If anyone has any actual suggestions, feel free to message me or post them here.

• Like Like x 3