Reusing tf2 model textures

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
So...basically ive heard somewhere on the forum thats its a good idea to use model textures that are already in the game to cut down on file size...now my question is...how?
Like...how do i tell xsi what texture to use, then when using it in the game, how do i tell the model to use that already present texture...

also...after going through all the tutorials and other crap like that...its occurred to me ...I have absolutely no idea what i need to model <_< so if anyone has a somewhat simple request ill take a shot at it...

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
yes, and without bloating the filesize by needing to zip in the texture again

Dec 25, 2007
So...basically ive heard somewhere on the forum thats its a good idea to use model textures that are already in the game to cut down on file size...now my question is...how?
Like...how do i tell xsi what texture to use, then when using it in the game, how do i tell the model to use that already present texture...

Export the VTF for the texture you're interested in to a TGA or BMP using GCFScape/VTFEdit. Use that as the texture map in XSI. Then after exporting, when you compile your model, make sure your QC has the appropriate $cdmaterials setting, e.g. $cdmaterials "models/props_farm" if the texture was from a prop in props_farm.