Resupply locker art contest idea

Dispencer

L1: Registered
Mar 17, 2008
Hi, I've put together a rough brief and submission guideline for a contest.

Unofficial resupply locker contest.

The TF2 resupply locker is reckognisable, iconic and fitting with the art of Team Fortress 2.
Your task is to produce concept art for an all new community Team Fortress 2 locker, one that lives up to the same pedigree. The winner of this contest will get made for use in any community maps.

Judging criteria:

- Readability. How easy it is to identify the locker from a distance.
- Use of materials and colour.
- Presentation. Design specs need to be clear. With one picture at least making use of basic drawing principles, orthographic AND perspective.
- Originality. Have fun!

Deadline 30th of September 2009 whatever time.

Submission requirements

Your cabinet should be roughly the same dimensions as the current resupply locker. It could be confusing to players on fire otherwise. (see readability)

Your submission should include more than one view of your locker, with any indication of animation (swinging, sliding doors). At least one picture should indicate colour or material via annotation, swatch or a full colour picture. Each of these are acceptable.
It should be submitted in a common image format at a good resolution, with a text file indicating authors , references and help you had.

Submit as many concepts as you like. To this thread.

Open to suggestions, on any aspect of the brief except the fact that it will be for a resupply locker.

Before the contest goes live I will need to sort out a couple of people to actually create the locker for the winner. Give me a shout if you'd like to contribute.

Artesia

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 11, 2008
I'd rather have it be to actually make the locker. I don't usually like showing people my concept art because I usually only draw enough that I can model it.

Also, this could be made theme specific, like swamp theme. Make the resupply lockers old beat up and dirty versions of the current lockers, maybe even made of wood, with the recognizable + on the front.

Dispencer

Mar 17, 2008
I wanted to keep it theme agnostic. Users are welcome to try and incorporate elements of certain themes (spytech, swamp). I don't want to actually encourage people to develop for one particular theme that is the flavour of the month.

If other people would prefer it to be art+modeling then that's cool with me. I didn't want it to distract from the other contests currently taking place.

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
good idea.

would love to see some cool new models for resupply lockers.

make it where you actually BUILD the model, otherwise its pointless. if someone has a good idea for one, they could team up with a modeller and make a team effort, perhaps?

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Hate to be blunt, but:

The TF2 resupply locker is reckognisable, iconic and fitting with the art of Team Fortress 2.

This is exactly why I don't want people making replacements. I don't want to play custom maps that replace basic gameplay items with some useless replacement - regardless of how well-made it is. It causes unnecessary confusion.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
A lot of players still don't know about the ambulance...

Anyway, about the only resupply alternative I'd like to see is a near-identical one which just happens to be half as tall, for use as a cupboard.

Other than that, I'd really only want new models if it was for a correspondingly different behavior, like a no-metal or health-only closet.

Bacteriophage

Sep 6, 2009
vender.jpg

Just because. I'm not really pro for replacing the locker. I agree: it's iconic and recognizable (necessarily so.)

Dispencer

Mar 17, 2008
This isn't a replacement, I didn't say it would be. If you don't like what the contest produces then you're not obliged to use it. But there could be some nice designs, and they could fit in better with other maps. Readability is the number 1 judging criteria for a reason. It's not like we're changing health packs or things you need to read in the field.

I think we will go ahead with the idea of designing and creating it. But instead limiting it to one submission per person or persons. Final submissions will have to be ready and compiled for Source.

Last edited: