Respawn Wave Times...

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Straight to the point, how do I do them effectively across 3 points. I've looked into how to do them, can't find shit.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Spawn times aren't about your mode or how many points you have or any of that. Spawn times are about the battle line. If a person on each team dies at the same time, and runs directly toward the other team after spawning, the place where they meet is generally going to be where the conflict occurs. (extreme layout situations notwithstanding)

This is one reason that defenders tend to have a longer spawn time than attackers (whether it is dustbowl or just the last point of a 5CP) - not to make them be outnumbered and lose, but because when they spawn their objective is RIGHT there. The other team has a long distance to run so they get a short spawn time.

(this is also why instant respawn servers break a lot of maps)

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
You're going to be REALLY much more specific about what you want done.

Look, I don't know how to be specific with this. I just assume everyone who isn't me knows what to look at, and I go from there.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Look, I don't know how to be specific with this. I just assume everyone who isn't me knows what to look at, and I go from there.

Well, I wasn't too sure what you're actually asking. I didn't know if you were asking how should they be set up on different gamemodes? Whats the theory behind them? How to change them with entities? How they worked?

Booj has a good answer, hope that helps.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Alright, well. I need it so that RED respawn time on first point is kinda short, and BLU is a little slower. 2nd point needs to be about medium time length on RED and about 2 seconds shorter for BLU. Last needs to have a decent spawn time for both RED and BLU so they aren't at a standstill for 10 minutes, and so that RED has a harder time pushing out.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Use a logic_auto with command:

OnMapSpawn > [TF_gamerules entity name] > SetRedRespawnWaveTime ... then the parameter is the value you want. Do the same again, but use Blue instead of Red. This will set the initial respawn times.

When a point is capped, send the command out with the OnCap command, using the same thing OnCap > tf_gamerules (ent name) > Set[TEAM]RespawnWaveTime then the appropriate values you want for times.

I can't give you times, you'll need to figure something out yourself. Look at offical maps for ideas. Just know that if you set the parameter wavetime to something like, 4, that team will respawn between 4 and 8 seconds.

Waffe

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 2, 2012
Adding to Frozen: The mean respawn time is always about +50% (or more) of whatever value you use.

Time the routes for both teams (routes to battlements/points) and adjust accordingly. Use other maps as reference. Also, consider what impact teleports might have on those times.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Adding to Frozen: The mean respawn time is always about +50% (or more) of whatever value you use.

Time the routes for both teams (routes to battlements/points) and adjust accordingly. Use other maps as reference. Also, consider what impact teleports might have on those times.

I did this with Snowplow the last version.

So much data.