[Resource] The Passtime Entites!

page305

L1: Registered
Aug 19, 2015
I managed to get passtime logic working!

What you need is a team_round_timer, passtime_logic, and an info_passtime_ball_spawn.

info_passtime_ball_spawn:
Just place this entity where you want the ball to spawn.

passtime_logic:

Give this a name, for this demo we'll use "pass_master".

team_round_timer:
Set "Setup timer length" to 15.
Configure an output like so:
OnFinished
pass_master
TimeUp

For the game to be played you'll need goals and noball areas. This should prevent your game from crashing however.

Anytime I have passtime logic in my map, TF2 crashes before map load (or at the excact moment, I can't tell).

Am I missing something? Do I need anything else in my map besides a basic tf_gamerules?

I have zero errors.

page305

Aug 19, 2015
I did. Here's what I have for team_round_timer:

Start Disabled: No
Timer Length: 1
Max Timer Length: 0
Start Paused: No
Setup Timer Length: 0
Reset Time On Round Start: No
Use Sounds: No
Show Timer in HUD : No
Count Direction: Down

Outputs:
Onfinished
passtime_logic
TimeUp
NoOverride

Ive also noticed that with ZERO passtime elements in my map, just naming the map pass_ gives me the HUD and spawn directions on screen.

I'm going to make a new map and try in an empty room to see if anything else may be the issue.

Last edited:

page305

Aug 19, 2015
You need to have "Show timer in HUD" Enabled. Don't ask me why.

Will give this a go. I genuinely appreciate your time helping me. I would have never guessed that would make a difference.

Update: It WORKED! Thanks so much once again!

Last edited:

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
So, how do you deal with the jack dropping into a death pit?

page305

Aug 19, 2015
I probably shouldn't be chiming in as a noob, but I'd guess a func_passtime_noballzone barrier at the edge of the pit.

If the pit is a circle, brush and clip tool to shape.

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
So, how do you deal with the jack dropping into a death pit?

There are a couple ways of doing this.

First, you can respawn the ball:
  1. Create a trigger_passtime_ball in the pit
  2. Use it to fire SpawnBall on the passtime_logic entity. This will get rid of the ball and get start the countdown by the announcer, then the ball will respawn at the center.
I don't like this method as it breaks gameplay flow and you have to wait for it to respawn.

The next method is to use a trigger catapult to launch it back into play space.
  1. Make a trigger_catapult set to affect only physics objects.
  2. You can also use a filter_activator_class set to filter for passtime_ball if you want.

This one would work well, but the next is my favorite.

Use a teleporter!
  1. Create a trigger_teleport with the "Physics Objects" flag checked.
  2. Use a filter_activator_class set to filter for passtime_ball to make sure only the ball is teleported.
  3. Link the telporter to an info_target somewhere near the edge of the pit.
  4. Optional step: put a trigger_catapult the only affects the ball around the info_target to make it pop up/out from somewhere!

I like this one because you can make the ball pop out of a nearby pipe or hole in the ground!

This info was also added to the main post.

14bit

aa
Oct 5, 2014
YM, I have now added a section about respawning the ball after it falling in a death pit. Also, I just added a section on the ball's iterations with trigger_teleports!

I'll be out of town for the next few days, and my laptop can't run Hammer, but if anybody finds anything I can try to update the main post with it if they want.

MugWench

Aug 19, 2015
Still trying to figure out if sections have any functionality, as well as whats required to make the hud function correctly. (After that, how does the hud deal with multiple goal zones per team?)

14bit

aa
Oct 5, 2014
Still trying to figure out if sections have any functionality, as well as whats required to make the hud function correctly. (After that, how does the hud deal with multiple goal zones per team?)

Sections just don't work, and can cause crashing, while having multiple goal zones just break the HUD entirely. I added that to the original post a yesterday. If you can somehow get Sections (whatever it is) working, please do share. Any info helps!

Setin

Oct 5, 2015
Hey guys! We think it's awesome that the community has come together to figure out how to make their own PASS Time maps! We've recently created this wiki page and discussion group for further help if you need it. We are also planning on releasing a template VMF soon so that you can just copy/paste all the entities into your map with the basic settings ready to go. We look forward to what the community will come up with!

- Austin
Escalation Studios

Wiki
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2/PASSTime

Discussion
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PASSTimeOfficial/discussions/0/490121928356425236/

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I recommend filling out the per entity pages. It's how the dev wiki works, one page per entity, with additional pages for the larger picture and recipes for common setups.

EntranceJew

Dec 8, 2015
Ball Team Claiming

The ball can be in one of three states: Claimed for Red, Claimed for Blue, or Neutral.
A neutral ball cannot be scored.
A claimed ball can be scored for the claimed team.

A ball can only switch states through 4 ways:
  1. If a player picks it up it will become claimed by that team.
  2. If the ball is scored it will return to Neutral and start the respawn sequence.
  3. If the ball touches a GROUND OR FLOOR SURFACE it will become Neutral. ( This does not include walls.)
  4. If the player carrying the ball enters a func_passtime_no_ball_zone it will IMMEDIATELY return to Neutral.
If you throw the ball, you cannot catch it until it turns Neutral again. Teammates and enemies can catch it, however. (You can't pass to yourself.)

When a pyro airblasts the ball, this also immediately reverts the ball to neutral.

edit: I'm not sure if it's of much note, but goal_glow_lrg.mdl's 3rd skin is green stripes as opposed to team/neutral stripes.

Last edited: