resolution

PL resolution a14

Red Dagger

L2: Junior Member
Mar 7, 2016
Red Dagger submitted a new resource:

resolution - 4-point payload with a north/east african theme in mind

New year's resolution was to actually make a tf2 map, instead of a hanful of a1s. The idea was to go for simple geometry to keep things simple and doable; I went for a payload where the entirety of C is in an instance at a 30 degree angle. It is june. vvis has only just finished compiling. I haven't even made a payload map before. It's going great!

Read more about this resource...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016
Red Dagger updated resolution with a new update entry:

Decomplexificating

A0 got two tests!

General assessment:
-the geometry itself appears accommodating enough for all classes to fight around
-while scaling doesn't seem to be a problem, some areas are a bit cramped
-consistent criticism about how complex and unintuitive the layout is
--part of this I can put down to routes splintering and reconnecting instead of forming their own flow
--there is also a little bit too much stuff; of particular note is the roof of D, which was barely used and mostly served to...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

More Decomplexificating

Let's try this again!

General assessment:
-no complaints about areas being cramped, could probably even open up some areas more if wanted
-despite changes made for a1, still receiving complaints about complexity
--more complaints about the clashing angles on A shows that needs to be addressed
--something that came up was blu's routing to C and to D; no clear singular path felt available, which will contribute to a less cohesive layout
--the shortcut to A from red's spawn keep causing...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

new B

General assessment:
-while the complaints about complexity are reduced compared to previous versions, it's still an issue for some people
--one part that clearly stood out to people was the flank at B; the furthest exit is a long walk from the cart path, and the single route is trying to serve all 3 flank entrances as one big mess of geometry
-height difference is another issue that cropped up, notably the extreme height changes at A
-A itself is feeling somewhat formless, both areas are...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

new(er) B and then some

General Assessment:
-this is the first version where no-one complained about complexity, so that' nice; people still felt the geo a little weird, but hopefully that's just from alpha blocky brushwork?
-instead everyone complained about flanks!
-A, B, and C all were held strongly using forward holds, which mostly collapsed when red tried to hold at the point
-this either means people complained about being flanked because they were constantly overextending, or they could only forward hold...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

flanks

General Assessment:
-doing a lot better on the "ooer this is too confusing" front, A seems to be the last holdout for that
-instead, it's clear that I have a minor addiction to flanks
-this results in overall unfocused fighting
-A doesn't appear to have flanking problems, it's rather straightforward in that regard
-in every other regard, I have no idea what I'm doing with A
-B is silly because of the flanks, although at least the fighting happens more around the point this time
-C's flanks...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

moar changes to B

General assessment:
-removing the flanks on B and C actually did wonders for how the map played, B was notably choky but C was manageable
-red had an awkward time defending A, a running theme in tests when they can't completely lock it down
-B needs more for blu to push through, right now it's boring; however, from experience, instead of being a flank it should be more of a parallel route to the cart path
-the high ground was too easy for red to have, and too hard for blu to attack; a sentry...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

flamk

General assessment:
-the too-many-route problem is back, notably on B but I think there's room to cut down on other points as well
-the other problem is that, consistently every time the map is played, the fights happen in the "wrong" places compared to where I've placed the capture points
-it's probably worth trying to move the capture points to match where the geo funnels the gameplay, rather than wrangling the geo
-A still doesn't hold; I'm not really sure there's a specific reason why...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

movin'

General assessment:
-while there weren't any major deviations from how the map has played in previous tests, it seems there were some serious spill issues so there's not much to say about balance from a7's test
-the first round had few people, so rolled to the end, the second round slowly gained players up to red being better than blue, so when the teams switched blu pushed fairly easily to last
-removing the cliff route at A gave red a second useful sentry location, however as usual no real...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

SPowoNS

General assessment:
-changes to A have given it some actual defending capacity for the first time in 9 versions
-B plays fine, but people (still) don't notice the underground route as much; the main entrance for blue is somewhat hidden
-the C choke didn't turn into a meatgrinder either time, whereas in previous tests it would always stall the cart for at least a few minutes
-however, C continued its pattern of never being defended
-D could also do with a stronger red hold; as it stands, B is...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

I added another flank to B lmao

General assessment:
-neither A nor B were really played, blu got through both fairly easily - considering previous tests, this is likely not entirely a map issue and more a product of this specific test
-the C choke is still present, albeit not as bad as before the changes
--notably, the underground route was barely used; there's now space where the old spawn room is, which is prime real estate for a new connector
-I'm still not terribly happy with D; the gameplay feels more like blu trying...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

I don't even know what's going on with this map any more

General assessment:
-red stacked engie and defended A in 3 games out of 4???????????????????????
-in the fourth game, blu were stalled initially on A then just steamrolled all the way to last
-for A, it's clear that moving the point has reduced the power of the arch highground, so the geo changes there could be removed somewhat
-the faster respawn time, combined with multiple teles, made for a very small window for blu to kill red and push before they respawned - a few seconds longer could...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

New C!

General assessment:
-B->C needs an overhaul, no real gameplay has ever happened here
-the map relies a little too much on chokepoints, areas should be opened up somewhat, not just random flanks added
-there's a few too many one-way routes which hampers the ability for people to move around the map and enforces the chokes
-A needs fixing but I don't know what the problem really is
-D still feels off to me but again I don't know what's off about it

Layout:
-lowered the wall on A and removed...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

New B!

General assessment:
-the new C held up alright for completely fresh geo, was actually held once which makes it an instant improvement; need more data before drawing any conclusions
-A and D play alright, A is holdable but is the easiest to push and D gives red a firm hold while still giving each team room to manoeuvre
-B is shit
-the water gimmick has massively outstayed its welcome, the main choke is boring, the basement flank is awkward and too powerful
-alterations won't help here, it...

Red Dagger

Mar 7, 2016

New New B!

General assessment:
-b sucked, again

Layout:
-completely new B, with minor alterations to the connector from B to C
-I deliberately tried to make this B simpler, to feel more like typical TF2 than whatever nonsense I usually end up with

Other:
-removed one of blu's initial spawn exits should be a little simpler with 3
-added blockbullets to the fencing at C so people don't shoot through them
-fixed z-fighting on one of red's last spawn doors