Request Tutorial on "Detail sprites"

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by Thorval, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Thorval

Thorval L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, I'm wondering If someone could make a tutorial on detail sprites I really need them in my map but I can't figure out how to make them I know witch texures they're in but I need them in a green style like in area_Lumberyard!

Gr, Thorval!

2. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thorval

Positive Ratings:
    I still don't get how to make them out of Valve texures Any Help? :3

4. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    there are a couple detail sprite related map properties you need to change. edit->map properties or whatever file menu tab it's under, then the properties you need to change are at the bottom and by default have "2fort" in them. there are some lists of what textures need what properties, but I don't have them handy.
    they automatically get added when you compile the map depending on the textures. there are alternate versions of the textures that make them that have fewer or no detail sprites, if you want to control where there's grass.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Thorval

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Thanks !

6. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    How do detail sprites even work? Are they just little models randomly scaled and oriented by vbsp or something? I feel like that would be extremely expensive if that were the case, so I assume I'm wrong.

7. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    They can be models but often they are just 2 tri sprites. They have a small hardcoded draw distance and a map has a limit on how many it has, so it ends up being fairly cheap.

• Thanks Thanks x 2