Model Request: Tank

clubtheseals

L1: Registered
Mar 20, 2008
I am in desperate need of a resource for my currently secret mapping project. I need a WW2 style tank, with neutral textures, about 128 hammer units high, 256 hammer units wide, and 384 units long. I know this is a large request, but I cannot model to save my life, and my map will not be complete without this in it. Something fairly similar to this
WWII_tank.jpg

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone could create this.

LordNor

L3: Member
Jun 24, 2009
i wish i could make something like this, it would look amazing, especially if the modeler could capture the Tf2 style with it.

FlavorRage

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 12, 2008
I just found [ame="http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=796309"]this[/ame] gem on facepunch. I suggested splambob release it with tf2 textures (I'm NanoSquid everywhere but here :p). Maybe you should get into contact with him? (If you have an FP account anyway :O)

LordNor

Jun 24, 2009
hahaha yes someone should get on that, if not then i will, thats an amazing tank

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
There's a few issues with using a model like that.

The first is that if you look at the very last wip screenshot, the model is incredibly complicated, and such a high-poly model isn't reasonable in the source engine. Especially if you want to place 2 or 3 next to one another. All the little details there in the tank's treads would be made of so many triangles you wouldn't be able to do much with it but look at the model by itself.

Even the artist himself states that it's 280,000 polygons--and he didn't say triangles (everything in the source engine is made up of triangles, even world geometry). I'll assume that these are still quads. It's extremely difficult to UV map triangles, so generally I keep them quads until the model is completely finished, then I divide into triangles. So imagine that even at 280,000 quads, those divide into at least double the number when making triangles.

But let's assume 280,000 refers to triangles anyway, since there's no way to tell. The payload bomb cart model has 11,456 polygons, and it's a very complicated model--this tank model has so many polygons, it would be made up of 24.4 payload bomb cart models. I don't know about you, but I think with a full server and a map with moderate optimization, staring at 24.4 bomb cart models would make my FPS pretty sluggish.

And my other issue with using that model is that even though TF2 is a very stylized game, all the objects in it are based in real life...the time period is very specific, and with a tank that's just so 'cartoony', I really don't think it would fit in well at all. What you do still needs to be based in reality in some respects for it to work with a game like Team Fortress 2.

Those things aside, it's still a very nice model, and would be great for 3-D renders, stills and the like. But it's no good in TF2.

Last edited:

LordNor

Jun 24, 2009
Huh, so basically Big Rexy hed just have to streamline the tread's and then it would be better i guess

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Huh, so basically Big Rexy hed just have to streamline the tread's and then it would be better i guess

Streamline the treads? At 280,000 polygons, that wouldn't make too much a difference. There are simply too many polygons. And that also doesn't change what I suggested about the style of the tank (albeit, it's a really nice model!).

No, I'm afraid the whole model would have to be rebuilt with a polygon budget in mind. I'd say anything from 8,000 to 10,000 triangles would be reasonable--and I'm sure it could be done for a lot less too. 10,000 would make a pretty detailed model.

LordNor

Jun 24, 2009
nah sorry i wasnt able to explain myself properly, remake the entire tread system. Just make TF2 style big gears with simple treads.