Request: Tall Coniferous Trees

Discussion in 'Models' started by Earl, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Earl

Earl L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    The trees that came with lumberyard are ok, but I want taller, more useable trees. I'm looking for tall coniferous pine trees that are 700-1000 units tall. The branches should start at about 250-300 units up, and the tree should have about a 300 unit diameter. I want to use a bunch of these to shade an alpine area. It would be nice to have some slight variations too, so it doesn't look like the same tree copy/pasted all over the place.

So I'm calling on a modeler who is much more skilled than I to help! I'm sure other people would like them too!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    EP2 ones look good. I'm coward. :p

3. Earl

Positive Ratings:
    Isn't that against Valve's EULA though?

4. AWESOME-O

AWESOME-O L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think, unless its in the shared content, wich i think it isn't.

5. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I will probably start on modeling a tree soon, we're gonna need one in our game for school and I really want to practice on vegetation modeling too. Don't steal the ep2 ones, they don't fit in tf2. Dammit Fatony when will you learn.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Zeewier

Zeewier L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was doing a tree like thing for my Contest entry. (you can expect details in 2 weeks). But maybe when I have time I will try to make one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Earl

Positive Ratings:
    The EP2 trees are kind of what I'm looking for--as far as sizing goes. Just something that is more TF2-esque, and not against the rules. I think I'll use them in the interim as placeholders.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  8. Zeewier

Positive Ratings:
    hmmz; I forgot: my first try one the tree i wanted to use the contest was a Pine like tree. But I switched from Alpine theme to a Farm theme. But give me 2-3 weeks. (got a week free from school)

Btw can you add a example photo/picture, so i make it the way you want it? Or can i just use the Ep2 trees as reference? (those tree's aren't very hard to make) like tree_pine04.mdl or tree_pine05.mdl (pine05 has the right dimensions, or do you want them even bigger?) or just a rescaled version of the tf2 tree_pine01.mdl?

9. Earl

Positive Ratings:
    I looked at the EP2 trees, and found that they're too small. (~500 units). I was hoping for trees that are 700-1000 units tall. I need some frikken redwoods and ponderosa pines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main features I'm looking for are:

1. Sufficient height (700-1000 units)
    2. Branches that start about 1/3 up the trunk. (200-350 units up)
    3. Wide branches that provide lots of shade (150-200 unit radius).
    4. Match the style of the existing TF2 tree.

Also, tf2 styled EP2 trees would also have their place. There are many types of trees in a typical coniferous forest.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  10. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Something like this?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

11. Earl

Positive Ratings:
    Sort of. The problem is that those are deciduous trees, and don't really fit the alpine theme. The top one is pretty close to what i want, except it needs to be a pine/fir tree, and more cone-shaped.

12. Zeewier

Positive Ratings:
    Do you want to see every branch or more the way they did it with the TF2 pine (like it's solid) ?

13. Earl

Positive Ratings:
    I think to fit the theme, but still have the kind of tree I want, each individual branch should be discrete, but it can be mostly opaque in the style of the TF2 pine tree. (So blending the 2 styles).

14. Zeewier

Positive Ratings:
    I will start tomorrow on the trees. You still need them? :p

15. Zeewier

Positive Ratings:
    I never finished these trees because I wasn't sure you were still alive :\ :blushing:

But I want trees like this for arena_twinpeak so I will finish them :p