Request: Server Tutorial

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 9, 2008
Can someone please make a good Tf2 server set-up tutorial? I've looked everywhere and I can't find out how to make a dedicated server. And I live in Australia, if I do make a server running from my internet will I still have to pay for it monthly?

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
if I do make a server running from my internet will I still have to pay for it monthly?

short answer no. Long answer maybe.

When i ran a home-side server for the Tf2maps.net guys on my connection surprisingly everyone had good speed. My advertised DL/UL is 10/1, i get about 9500/941. I would suggest you have a good connection and a good upload.

Next CHECK YOUR PROVIDER this is VERY important. Some providers do not want you running a server period and if they do see you are running a server *its easy to tell with how much usage a server takes* most will not even warn you just SNIP and you have no net and now you gotta go through the bull of calling them, maybe pay more to turn it back on cause you broke their ToS.. etc etc...

Providing you have a very good DL/UP connection and also your provider is a cool... enjoy yourself =)

edit: wait i never knew you lived in Australia! Do you know Paul Hogan or have a pet kangaroo?

Last edited:

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 9, 2008
Met Paul Hogan, no, pet kangaroo, yes :p. Ah well I dunno about speed all I know is that I have 60 gig and 30 gig off and on peak. Thanks for the info, I will try again.

EDIT: Is it true you cant be playing on your server at the same time its running on your computer?

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
It is true, you can't play TF2 on the same computer a dedicated server is running on. Or at least you can't connect to the dedicated server. One of those.

µR¼

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2008
It is true, you can't play TF2 on the same computer a dedicated server is running on. Or at least you can't connect to the dedicated server. One of those.

no, it's possible to play on the same computer as the one you are hosting on, however it take some performance away from the game.