request for clarification on func_detail

309blank

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2009
Hi, after searching this forum for a while I couldn't really find a good explanation of how, what and why to func_detail? It seems to be pretty important for map optimization but I just have no clue how i should use it and why and such. VDC was kind of unsatisfactory too.

Feb 18, 2009
func_detail should be used on any pieces of brush work that doesn't block vis. In other words, you want to keep vis leafs as simple as possible (improves compile time). Complex brush work that the player either can always see around when they can see it (e.g. small pillars etc.) or small brushes placed on a larger brush that does cut vis. I think the question you really need to ask is "what are vis leafs and how are they used?" and that really is a bit difficult to answer in a single post. Try the VDC again for that question, and if you still are struggling to grasp it (don't worry if you are, it can be very tricky) post back here and someone will help you :)
In fact, someone reading this may post some better places to read about vis soon *hint hint*

309blank

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2009
thanks, I found some nice pages on the vdc, but that place is so unorganized im not surprised i didn't find anything useful initially. I guess it's all about visleafs then, not about func_detail :) Since I will rework my first map anyways I will try to think about how to optimize it a little more

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Best way to learn what to func_detail: open up one (or several, they all have different situations to learn from) of the valve map VMFs that come with the SDK, fly around toggling the func_detail auto visgroup on and off. Be amazed and enlightened.