Repacking my map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by CriminalBunny, May 27, 2016.

1. CriminalBunny

aa CriminalBunny Lasers are just deadly rainbows

Positive Ratings:
    So, I've been trying to repack my map pl_idol.

The problem is that I follow the instructions from this thread and I don't see any changes in the file. I also tried repacking it in-game but TF2 just crashes splashing a message saying "Out of memory", and I have no idea how to make the drag and drop one.

Clearly I'm missing something, and would like some directions.

2. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    hmmm... what do you have packed into the map? It's really really wierd that it should be so big.

For the purposes of diagnosis, how long does compiling take?

3. CriminalBunny

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I'm using mostly EArkham's mayan assets, some borneo blends and trees, and a custom skybox (You can find all of them in the map's thread).

The bsp is 137.000 kb big and it took less than half a second. I took a screencap of the thing here:
    (Might be worth showing. I don't know at this point)
    [​IMG]

So, this is the point where I get lost. Should the file get smaller? Am I missing something?

Note: I'm working with another version of the map: a1a. Comparing a1 with the newest one there is a difference of just 0.002 kb, with a1a having 4 more brushes. Might be worth mentioning.

4. RodionJenga

RodionJenga L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, repacking should make your map smaller. Usually much smaller.

Not sure if this is the cause but you can literally type "../tf/maps/pl_idol_a1a" with the two dots instead of "E:\Steam\Steamapps yadda yadda yadda \tf\maps\pl_idol_a1a".

I always use the command line in the bin folder too, and the repacking usually spits out a line like "successfully repacked", not a list of possible commands

5. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
  6. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
    I think you need to give the filename twice in a row. The first time tells bspzip where to get the origninal bsp from, the second tells bspzip where to put the resultant bsp. (You can give the same path and filename, which means bspzip will just overwrite the old bsp with the repacked bsp)

Or possibly try adding .bsp onto the end of your filename input

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. CriminalBunny

Positive Ratings:
    I tried adding .bsp at the end and I still get the same message. Typing "E:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps\pd_idol_a1a.bsp" twice doesn't seem to work either, if that's how it was supposed to be.

I also tried what you said. Apparently you can type "../tf/maps/pl_idol_a1a", but it failed.
    [​IMG]

8. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    How much stuff is packed into the map? Is it only what you need?

9. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Note that repacking doesn't just cover the packzip chunk, it covers all of them, including other heavy chunks such as the precomputed lightmaps.

10. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    You likely need to use quotes when you specify an absolute file path for your BSP, as the Team Fortress 2 bit contains spaces.

I tried to download your map from the forum to take a look but the forum software can't handle it, saying it ran out of memory.

11. Geit

aa Geit 💜 I probably broke it 💜

Positive Ratings:
    This is correct. You can also use "../tf/maps/pl_idol_a1a.bsp" as the path and it'll be corrected to the full path.

Also I'm aware of the errors with downloading Idol from the forums - but am hesitant to actually fix it because 130MB is far too large for an A1 imo.

12. RataDeOrdenador

RataDeOrdenador L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Um,dude...

Shouldn't be PD_IDOL instead of PL_IDOL? It's a PLAYER DESTRUCTION map,not a PAYLOAD map.

Maybe that's your big mistake. Am I the only one who saw that problem?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. CriminalBunny

Positive Ratings:
    Goddamnit, I'm not used to the pd prefix aren't I?

Anyway, I was getting rid of part of the custom content to reduce the final .bsp size. I'm going to try that after I build cubemaps and pack the custom content. And if that fails too I'm becoming a monk

• Like Like x 1
  14. CriminalBunny

Positive Ratings:
    It worked! And everything goes down to "I overlooked something critical"...

Me right now