Regarding control points

2010wolf | blw.tf

L1: Registered
Jun 22, 2017
First of all hello there :b it's my first time here c:
I just want to know if it's possible to do the following to control points, and how to do it...

In my map I have 3 control points, bottom, middle, and top control point.
I want it so that both middle and top control points are locked at the start of the round, while the bottom is unlocked, if one team captures the bottom control point, the bottom one will be locked, and then the middle one will be unlocked.

Now here is the interesting part...
If (for example) the blue team happens to capture the bottom control point, and was able to successfully capture the middle control point, the round will end. (Blue wins)
However, if the red team captures the middle control point, the top control point will be unlocked, and the middle control point will be locked, and both teams will have to fight it out on the last, top control point.
If the red team captures the top control point, that means they now have both middle and top, thus red team will win.
same thing with the blue team...

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Welcome to tf2maps!

So basically, you are trying to make a 'best of 3' gamemode in one round right?

If you are, it is relatively easy to do.

I am not sure how well you know about control point. If you never touched hammer before, I suggest you take a look at gamemode library in Ultimate Mapping Resource pack to get a grasp of how control point logic works.

IIRC, you can set the output of team_control_point Oncapteam1 and Oncapteam2 to each add 1 value into two different math_counter each named red_counter and blue_counter. When on of these math_counter reaches value 2, you can trigger game_round_win to make certain team win. For unlocking control points, that works by using Oncapture output of the control point.

You might want to change the layout of the control point shown on the hud. That can be done by tweaking with team_control_point_master. You'll know what to do when you open the property panel of it.

I want you to know that this is written without actually testing/making it on hammer so some of this might be wrong. Also this might not be the most optimized way to do this so I suggest you to read this with a grain of salt.

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
Unless I'm doing something wrong, there's no way to unlock a Point-for-all locked after one gets captured, so disabling/enabling the Capture triggers is the only workaround. It is also going to be a mess trying to explain it all, so I'm linking both the .BSP and the .VMF and hope you get to the point of how and why it's done.

Last edited:

2010wolf | blw.tf

Jun 22, 2017
Ok, so here's something i don't get...
Assuming that red team capped the bottom control point, and then the blue team capped the middle control point, blue team will win... (From the map that you linked)

uuuh.. that's not what i want D:
what i want is that if the red or blue team was able to capture two points, regardless of what order, the team with the most points will win.
if blue capped bot and mid, blue wins. (Otherwise red wins)
if red capped bot, while blue capped mid and top, blue wins. (Otherwise red wins)
If blue capped bot, while red capped mid, then blue capped top, blue wins. (Otherwise red wins)

Thanks for your help btw!

Edit: Should i use a math_counter (for both teams), and make it so that if it reaches 2 it will send an output that will make the team with the most points win?
is that even possible?

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Edit: Should i use a math_counter (for both teams), and make it so that if it reaches 2 it will send an output that will make the team with the most points win?
is that even possible?

download.png

Edit: Actually, if you add 2 math_counter for each team, you dont need to make it check team points. Just a team with value 2 wins via game_round_win.

2010wolf | blw.tf

Jun 22, 2017
download.png

Edit: Actually, if you add 2 math_counter for each team, you dont need to make it check team points. Just a team with value 2 wins via game_round_win.

Alright! it works!
Thank you so much!

There is just a tiny problem tho...
In order to avoid players getting confused by the map, i'v tried multiple times now to make the ""Locked"" symbol appear when a point is captured, and remove the ""Locked"" symbol from the next point.
also having trouble by making the point start as locked, i do have the point in it's status set to locked at the start of the round, yet somehow that doesn't seem to do anything...

So far this is my only last tiny problem.

Last edited:

pennsyrail

L2: Junior Member
May 12, 2016
Such simpleness. Sounds like you have a cool idea though. A sort of control point race at the end

2010wolf | blw.tf

Jun 22, 2017
Such simpleness. Sounds like you have a cool idea though. A sort of control point race at the end

Actually, it's for a new gamemode i'm working on.

The control points are simply just there to be there, the gamemode it-self however is just so you can go around killing people and stuff, the control points aren't a core aspect of the gamemode, however the map that i made, it seems that the beta testers seem to always stay at the bottom control point, instead of going out to the other control points, since it's kinda ""hard"" for them, or they don't know how to.

But again, you might say that i missed up something since it's hard to go there, but in reality the gamemode i made makes it as easy as rocket jumping, so it's only a matter of very basic skills in order go get up there.

and nah, this gamemode isn't fit for new players, so yea.

i wanted to force the players to venture out to the other control points if they want to win, instead of making the gamemode boring when they just stay in one place.

theatreTECHIE

Yet another Techie for the net...
aa
Jun 19, 2015
To lock each control point, and have it show up on the HUD, you should be able to pass inputs to the trigger_capture_area for each point, using the SetTeamCanCap input. Look on the VDC page for more info for this input.

Once one point is capped, you would disable that point's capture area, and enable the next capture area sort of thing.

EDIT: One thing you may be able to do as well is use a func_brush that has the top surface with the no_entry texture and all other sides no drawed that goes on top of the point (so people can see it when standing on the point). The brush entity can then be enabled and disabled through inputs. Just be sure to make its solidity never solid in the properties. Whether to do this depends on how good it looks.

Last edited:

2010wolf | blw.tf

Jun 22, 2017
Alright, i'v done what i understood so far.
Now the point that is capped will be locked on the hud, but at the start of the round the mid and top are not shown to be locked on the hud, however they are locked.

Anyhow i found another irritating problem, not about control points tho...

For some reason, some entities that i placed inside the map, it says that they are leaked, even tho the map is carefully and fully sealed off from every single direction.
When i load the pointfile, i can see the line from the healthkit entity going thro a solid god damn wall, both func_detail and a normal wall.

which is why i think this is happening to me after compiling:
28b68d7a09.png
3c4ab1dfa8.png

Yabayabayaba

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 2, 2016
Props leak based on their origin, not on their location, and it is easy to mess up the location of the origin. if you press the toggle helpers button on the top bar, it will show the entity origins as circles when you have the entity selected. try going to the problem entity and move it's origin back into the map, and that may fix the problem

2010wolf | blw.tf

Jun 22, 2017
Alright cool, i fixed the issue, and the map compiled correctly.

Thanks for everyone's help!

You can close this thread now :)