Reflection issues

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Tatws, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Tatws

Tatws Guest

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys, a few of my friends have higher spec pc's than me, so play the game on higher settings. While my map looks fine to me, no visual issues, they talk about reflection problems, something to do with that purple checkered texture instead of reflection in blades, sniper scopes, etc. Can anyone help?

2. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    yes, you need to place env_cubemaps around the essential places around your map, than type in console: buildcubemaps.

That should do it ;)

3. Tatws

Tatws Guest

Positive Ratings:
    right, just to clarify because I am unfortunately a little slow at the moment, ever so tired! Build brush-based entities around all the sections of the map called env_cubemaps, then compile, then go in-game, open up the map, and type in the console, buildcubemaps. Then I can pass around the bsp?

4. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    no no no, env_cubemap is a point based entity. place them around your map where the surroundings are significantly different to other areas at about head height. THEN load it in game and buildcubemaps (which then get saved into the .bsp for you to distribute)

5. Tatws

Tatws Guest

Positive Ratings:
    ah ok, even better. Thanks guys! I really appreciate it =D

6. Noggin

Noggin L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is instructions from RedFoxx...I added LDR instructions

Make sure your in dev mode, go to the console

start your map

mat_specualr 0
    buildcubemaps

reload the map

mat_hdr_level 0 (this should put the engine in LDR mode)
    buildcubemaps
    restart map
    mat_specular 1

7. Tatws

Tatws Guest

Positive Ratings:
    ah, added confusion lol. I didn't know the game had a dev mode...well ill be on the steam chat so ill pester someone to explain it to me!