Reflection Issues in TF2 Skys

Anda02

L1: Registered
May 30, 2009
I seem to have the problem that when I compile my map, only HL2 skies can work correctly in my map. I have placed cubemaps in the most appropriate places and compiled them with no avail. Only windows and water seem to have this reflective issue, nothing else. (Purple and Black Checkered Reflections)

I have seen many custom maps with TF2 skies, is there anyway I can fix this?

Jan 31, 2008
I seem to have the problem that when I compile my map, only HL2 skies can work correctly in my map. I have placed cubemaps in the most appropriate places and compiled them with no avail. Only windows and water seem to have this reflective issue, nothing else. (Purple and Black Checkered Reflections)

I have seen many custom maps with TF2 skies, is there anyway I can fix this?

You might not build the cubes properly.
Open your map and write this in the console to build them:

Code:
mat_specular 0;wait 100;buildcubemaps;wait 100;mat_specular 1

Then open the console again and type this:

Code:
changelevel my_map

Where my_map is your map name including the prefix.
Then open the console again and do:

Code:
mat_reloadallmaterials

Last edited:

kwagner

L2: Junior Member
Feb 28, 2009
Wild guess:

When you start Source SDK, do you select "Team Fortress 2" as the current game type at the bottom of this window?

picture.php

I'm guessing that if you don't the only HL2 skies work right?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I believe the problem is valve didn't make the TF2 sky VTFs uniform and so you get that "cannot build default cubemap" error when using them. Whereas the HL2 skies successfully get a default cubemap.

It's a moot point though because they should always be manually built anyway.

Anda02

L1: Registered
May 30, 2009
Thank you very much, Acegikmo's method worked, I guess it has just been awhile since I have had to compile cubemaps. :)