KotH Refinery

MetalKev

L2: Junior Member
Mar 5, 2012
First map I've designed. I'm looking for feedback on obvious flaws in design and some testing so I can optimize and beautify the map after I know it plays reasonably well.
I'm brand new to the community too, so if I make a faux pas don't hesitate to tell me.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
I'm not sure if having a full healthpack in the middle of a big empty and (probably) easily accessible room is a good idea.

MetalKev

L2: Junior Member
Mar 5, 2012
I'm not sure if having a full healthpack in the middle of a big empty and (probably) easily accessible room is a good idea.

The healthpack is located in a bunker underneath the main point, equidistant from the spawns. The idea I was going for was that it'll be a contested area so nabbing it won't be safe (like the health room on koth_lakeside) and that people can jump down to the bunker entrance to get it easily, but in doing so need to walk a fair distance to get back to the control point, making the health both easily accessible but ultimately inconvenient.
I don't know how well it'll work in practice but that was my theory.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
just a headsup: the name refinery i already taken by arena_refinery. just saying

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
This was a really interesting map, but I think it has some big flaws to it. A lot of the corridors and doorways are really small. It feels very convoluted at times, and there are a lot of jumps. I played scout most of the time, so it wasn't as big of a hassle for me, but I'm sure the other classes weren't having as easy of a time.

I think you mapped the gameplay affecting brushwork too small in general. It has lots of paths everywhere, but they are all very cramped. It's like the problems with micro-detailing, except for gameplay elements. If that makes sense.