Reducing model detail in 3ds Max

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm trying to convert a model to a lower-poly version to use as a collision mesh. What's the best way to go about this? I've tried deleting edges, but this seems to only work when the adjoining triangles can combine to form a triangle, not a quad. Otherwise I just get a single triangle and a triangle-shaped gap. Is there a way to combine coplanar tris back into quads or n-gons? Google has been utterly useless so far.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Use EditPoly instead of EditMesh, you have a lot more options. You can set up your options to import meshes as EditPolys by default, and you can convert it with right click in the window with your object selected.

In EditPoly subobject mode (edges, vertices), select what you want to remove and hit backspace.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
There's also the Optimise modifier that might help a lot. It destroys UV's but that doesn't matter for a collision

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I was able to get the results I wanted by enabling Snap to Vertices, dragging vertices together, and welding them. Also worked pretty well for closing gaps, in this case. Where is this Optimise thing located in recent versions?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Should be in the modifier dropdown when you have a mesh selected.

Personally I find it easier and faster to just make the collision mesh from scratch. Since each collision mesh can't be concave in any way, complex shapes often take multiple meshes stacked on top of one another, which you can just drag-clone to quickly create.