Texture Red/Neutral skins for the water barrels

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by Lancey, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I need skins for the water barrels from gorge in red and neutral variations, hopefully one neutral in grey and one in yellow.

2. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    I can do this if you still need, I'm assuming you want a decompiled / recompiled model with the old and new skins all referenced right?

Just to make sure, can you post a screeny of the model (or list the model's full name) so I know exactly which one you mean?

3. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I've had some fun with this and have at least, gotten you the 3 textures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, in the late hours of me doing this I didn't bother working out how to group these into one skinfamily for the barrel01 model. Hopefully you'll be able to do this. Otherwise, here's the .vmt which you can can use for any of the textures just by renaming them from barrel01red/grey and putting it in tf/materials/models/props_badlands along with the .vmt.

In return for this, could someone inform me on how to create a working skin group so I and everyone else won't have to go through this tedious process again? :p

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  4. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry, wrong barrel.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. honorum646

honorum646 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I assume you mean the blue water barrels?

6. Acumen

aa Acumen Annoyer

Positive Ratings:
    here's what i used for my lifesaver-model with 3 texture versions:

if that's not enough information, you might probably need to rephrase the question or maybe look up in here:
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Multiple_Skins_for_a_Single_Model
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$texturegroup

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Dr. ROCKZO

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, I'll look through the map again, find the other yellow barrels and do the same for them. Cheers Acumen, I had looked at the VDC last night but maybe I'll be able to make more sense of it now that I've got an example and a fully awake brain.

8. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    Rockzo, I think he wants the blue water barrels with yellow, grey and red skins

9. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I remember seeing a tutorial for adding extra skins to an existing model. Does anybody have a link to it?

10. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
  11. aweaklingchild

aweaklingchild L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The only method I know of is to decompile the existing model, add (as Acumen said) "$texturegroup skinfamilies" to the .qc file and recompile. Plenty of details on this process are scattered around the Valve SDK wiki.

12. Lancey

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, those are the barrels in question. I figured it was assumed considering their model is actually water_barrel

13. Dr. ROCKZO

Positive Ratings:
    Sweet, I'll get onto that. Cheers guys.

14. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    Why do the water barrels have a biohazard symbol on them?:confused:?

15. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    They don't, the blue ones are watter barrels.

16. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Keep in mind that they won't really be water barrels anymore... Blue is a standard color for water barrels as it tends to indicate safety. If you use red barrels you will stray into the gamer logic that red barrels are dangerous and/or explosive. There is a reason there are no red barrels in stock TF2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Dr. ROCKZO

Positive Ratings:
    I actually remember reading an article on that (what some people right about, honestly), Crates are power ups/ bonuses, Red barrels Explode and anything else something to double jump over. :p

18. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    Was the article circa-crash bandicoot?

19. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    Apart from this one:
    [​IMG]
    That and the two other red skins for that model, or does that not count as it's an oildrum?

20. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't count because it's a very drab red that blends in with or is duller than the red walls which would surround it.

While it would be entirely possible to reskin the water barrels with such a color I feel it might be a little "off" because the blue ones are a very bright saturated blue. Additionally those kind of plastic barrels rarely are made in colors other than blue, white, or black.

Lastly I'd usually say it would help the team theme asymmetry to not have a red one, and be forced to use something else the same size.