Model RED and BLU riverboats

Remnic

L2: Junior Member
Jan 24, 2009
After playing a lot of Fallout 3 (mainly the Point Lookout DLC) I had the idea of designing another map with the swamp theme pack. Unfortunately, I was rather disappointed when there wasn't a riverboat model available. So I'm making this thread for the following reason:

I'd like to request a riverboat model which comes with a RED and a BLU skin. If possible, can I also have a collision model included with it? Here are some reference pictures to get the idea of which kind of riverboat I would like.

steamboat.jpg

mississippi-riverboat-cruises.jpg

-The riverboat shouldn't be too big or too small but roughly the same size as the one in the first reference
-Team logos displayed on the sides of the vessel

EDIT: I'm not in any kind of rush. You may take all the time in the world to design the model if you wish to fulfill my request.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I think something that big is best suited to being built out of brushes and small models, especially if players are expected to actually go on deck and use it as part of the field of play. That first one in particular looks like you could almost make it entirely from the textures and models we already have available.

That said, a riverboat prefab with maybe some of the more complex pieces like the paddlewheel being custom models would be pretty cool.

Remnic

Jan 24, 2009
I think something that big is best suited to being built out of brushes and small models, especially if players are expected to actually go on deck and use it as part of the field of play. That first one in particular looks like you could almost make it entirely from the textures and models we already have available.

That said, a riverboat prefab with maybe some of the more complex pieces like the paddlewheel being custom models would be pretty cool.
Well crap.

I tried building a riverboat out of brushes today but it failed to save it and now I'll have to start over again.:(

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Nah, model riverboat is the best option. Brushes just couldn't give it what it needs.

Remnic

Jan 24, 2009
Nah, model riverboat is the best option. Brushes just couldn't give it what it needs.

Figured. Tried building the hull of a brush riverboat yesterday with the clipping tool by only clipping off pieces of the brush to shape the brush into a boat hull rather than splitting the brush into smaller pieces for vertex editing. That's what caused the boat to disappear after saving because the Source engine can't handle brushes with THAT many faces.

Remnic

Jan 24, 2009
Sorry for the double post

It's been several days since I first started this thread and already I've began the major layout for my map. I'm thinking of redoing the brush riverboat but if anything happens, I'll probably post something about it.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for a modeler able to put some of his time into modeling a stylized riverboat that fits the swamp theme.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
A model such as this had been at the back of my mind for an addition to the swamp expansion. However, given our time frame and the pressure of wrapping things up, the project was simply tossed out of the window. It is quite a demanding model--that doesn't disregard the potential of such a project, but whether or not it is ever attempted--I can't make any promises as to a absolute yes or no. I'd love to, sure, but there's no certainty at this time.

If someone else has the interest to do so, please go ahead, I only said it would work best as a model, and not as brushwork, because I firmly believe it to be so. The magnitude and detail of such an item just can't cut it as brushwork.

Ghettobarney

L1: Registered
Jan 12, 2010
Figured. Tried building the hull of a brush riverboat yesterday with the clipping tool by only clipping off pieces of the brush to shape the brush into a boat hull rather than splitting the brush into smaller pieces for vertex editing. That's what caused the boat to disappear after saving because the Source engine can't handle brushes with THAT many faces.

It'd probably be easier and would look better if you used displacements for that and around the rest of the boat if you want a nice curved look to it.