Recompiling several models together breaks their textures

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Faux Rhinoceros, May 7, 2017.

  1. Faux Rhinoceros

    aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

    Messages:
    1,477
    Positive Ratings:
    1,367
    So, i recently reinstalled 3ds max and started toying around with WallWorm. Using it, i recently imported a bomb model which i then scaled down and recompiled. No issues there.

    Now, i'm trying to do something similar which includes several props (it's going to be the interieur of a custom mvm upgrade station). With the bomb, i didn't need to do any work for the new model to simply reuse the textures and materials of the model it was based off. Now, however, the textures for my model break.

    This is what it looks like in 3Ds max. In hlmv/hammer, i get the missing texture thing.

    So my question is, how would i go about making sure the props uses the textures and materials already in the game? I'm guessing that the fact that i have several models attached to each other somehow breaks whatever keeps track of the textures.

    Forgive me if i'm not too articulate at the moment, but i've been puzzling with wallworm and propper all night with next to no progress and i'm absolutely clobbered.
     
  2. Freyja

    aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Messages:
    2,842
    Positive Ratings:
    4,774
    Make sure everything there are vmts for the textures in the correct directory. If you're using a custom CD materials location that's different from wherever those weapon textures are you have to make new vmts
     
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. AsG_Alligator

    aa AsG_Alligator trigger_hiss

    Messages:
    402
    Positive Ratings:
    871
    Also, some models have their material path defined within the smd instead of qc. Those models usually just have $cdmaterials "" in their qc file.

    This shouldn't be an issue with model edits with no texture changes tho.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Faux Rhinoceros

    aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

    Messages:
    1,477
    Positive Ratings:
    1,367
    After a good nights sleep i got it all sorted out.

    Aly correctly guessed that the material directories got botched, so i used crowbar to compile the model with a custom qc file (rather than using wallworms auto generation feature) and that did the trick.

    Thanks y'all

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: May 8, 2017