Recommended Brightness for lights?

MrSinistar

L2: Junior Member
Feb 5, 2008
I've been working on my new map, "ctf_hive" and the part of the map that I am currently working on a large corridor similar to the underground command center in 2fort. Lighting is a problem for me because of the gigantic space involved in my room and therefore I have quite a few lights with the brightness set on some of them to 500 and others to 800. While the rooms are eerily lit and give off a nice spooky effect (which I'll probably use in later maps), I don't want that mood and would just like a regularly lit-room. I was wondering if you guys had a preferred brightness level for indoor lighting because I don't have a lot of time set aside for mapping and map troubleshooting, thanks to school and real life.

Thanks in advance! :D

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
for me, i rather have more lights at a lower intensity, than 1 or 2 lights that are really bright. but sorry, im not sure what number is preferable to lighting.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Honestly, lighting is HIGHLY dependent on the space you're working with. Without screenshots it's really difficult to determine what brightness settings would work the best. Mostly I find it takes a lot of trial and error to get things right.

I usually approach lighting pragmatically. I'll usually figure out what kind of lighting the room should have. Is it fluorescent lighting? Is it just a few incandescent bulbs? Maybe it's a bunch of work lights. Whatever the case, once I decide what type of lighting is appropriate I'll usually add a prop I'd like to use for a light source along with a light (most often a spotlight.) I'll make some guesses as to the properties of the light and then take a look at it in game. From there I can usually figure out what I need to change to get the one light looking proper. Then I'll just add similar lights that are appropriate for the room as needed.

All it really takes is getting one light up and looking good. Once you can figure out the setup for that single light source you can usually start duplicating it and tweaking the settings as necessary.

Spamdini

Jan 19, 2008
i think i read somewhere that a 100W lightbulb is the equivalent of an 80 brightness setting on a light ent. im not positive though, i use that value though.

MrSinistar

Feb 5, 2008
Honestly, lighting is HIGHLY dependent on the space you're working with. Without screenshots it's really difficult to determine what brightness settings would work the best. Mostly I find it takes a lot of trial and error to get things right.

I'll post some screen shots in little bit.

MrSinistar

Feb 5, 2008
Sorry for double posting...here's some screens:
ctf_hive_orange0009.jpg

ctf_hive_orange0010.jpg

ctf_hive_orange0011.jpg

ctf_hive_orange0013.jpg

ctf_hive_orange0014.jpg

ctf_hive_orange0016.jpg

ctf_hive_orange0019.jpg

ctf_hive_orange0023.jpg